Can a TPS cause the car to do this?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

Can a TPS cause the car to do this?

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I am trying to turn on my ZE MX3.
Only thing is, it only fully turns on and idles by itself if you choke the intake by putting putting a hand on the cone thing (pushing it in) on the VAF/MAF.
All of our cars do not need a air filter to turn on and idle. Even with a air filter put on, my car doesnt turn on. It hesitates to turn on but it wont turn on unless you choke the intake.

The intake doesnt have any cracks or air leaks. I even made sure by putting on my CAI (but without a filter) and it still does the same thing.

The vaf not put on backwards.

TPS?

VAF is from a Probe 2.5L
ECU is from a MX6 but is chipped with a Probinator
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
solo_ryder

Re: Can a TPS cause the car to do this?

Post by solo_ryder »

Have you tried a je50 VAF?

Have you set the TPS correctly?

Any codes?

At least your KLZE starts........ :evil:
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

solo_ryder wrote:Have you tried a je50 VAF?

Have you set the TPS correctly?

Any codes?

At least your KLZE starts........ :evil:
ha ha yeah with someones hand on the VAF
je50 VAF. Is that the K8 VAF?

I still have a spare K8 VAF and ECU.
I tried the K8 VAF along with the MX6 ECU (probinator chipped) and that made no difference.
Is the MX6 VAF the same as the Probe VAF?
Would a MX6 ECU work with a Probe VAF?
What about a K8 VAF?

How do I check fuel pressure?

I still got a spare K8 ECU and a K8 VAF. I tried switching the VAFs and it didnt do anything, just did the same thing
EDIT: I should also add that I tried to do a OBD test and the check engine light turned off, and than turned back on and stayed that way. I think I am getting a CEL because one of the wires of the O2 sensors came loose.

I havent adjusted my TPS yet.
Also, when the key is in the ignition, and its on start (the engine still of but the car is in start mode), and I press the gas, the fans come on.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote: ha ha yeah with someones hand on the VAF
je50 VAF. Is that the K8 VAF?
Yes
Is the MX6 VAF the same as the Probe VAF?
Yes, KL02 IIRC
Would a MX6 ECU work with a Probe VAF?
It should
What about a K8 VAF?
Works with k8 ecu and kl31/36 ecu
How do I check fuel pressure?
You can get a fuel pressure gauge from a autoparts store with a gauge.
EDIT: I should also add that I tried to do a OBD test and the check engine light turned off, and than turned back on and stayed that way. I think I am getting a CEL because one of the wires of the O2 sensors came loose.

Are you trying the paperclip way? With TEN and GND jumped?

I havent adjusted my TPS yet.

A ghetto way to adjust it is to jump TEN and GND and then turn the igntion to ON and turn the TPS till the fan is on, then back it off ever so slightly till the fan turns off.. then tighten. that will set it at a acceptable level.

Also, when the key is in the ignition, and its on start (the engine still of but the car is in start mode), and I press the gas, the fans come on.
Is your TPS loose? Set it first then check again
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

No the TPS isnt loose yet. Ill try adjusting it tommorrow
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Stop wasting our time!! Sert your TPS. Why do you ask these things and not set the TPS first.
EDIT. Sorry over reacted, loose it.

Engine off.
Detach TPS connector.

Wire Colour & Purpose
P= +5V reference
Y= TPS position signal to ECU
BR= TPS idle switch
BK/DB= sensor ground

Connect ohmeter to 2 bottom pins (BR and BK/DB) and you should get continuity. If not, loosen 2 TPS retaining bolts and rotate until continuity has just barely been achieved. Semi tighten 2 TPS bolts.
Insert .006" (0.15mm) feeler gauge between the throttle stop screw and throttle lever. This should not break the continuity. If it does break continuity, slightly adjust TPS rotation again to regain the continuity. Insert the gauge in and out a few times to verify. .
After confirming continuity with 0.15mm feeler gauge, insert a .020" (.50mm) feeler gauge. This should just barely break continuity but completely. If not re-adjust TPS rotation again. Re-confirm by re-inserting feeler gauge.
In essence, continuity on initial connection to TPS.
Continuity with .15mm gauge inserted.
No continuity with .50mm gauge inserted.
Tighten down TPS retaining bolts.
Re-connect TPS connector.

Now answer us, Sorry, I used the search and so sould you, I get fed up with these rudimentary questions. USE THE SEARCH!
Last edited by Daninski on October 17th, 2008, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

A misadjusted TPS won't cause your ZE to fail starting.
I don't know what a faulty tps will do, so I would suggest a voltage test
Did you try your K8 ECU as well?

Also I have heard some members complain about the wiring in the harnesses of the VAF, that the wiring is super crappy time. It's worth checking out.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Obviously it has to do with components that regulate fuel, or that send info to the ECU about how much fuel to put in. The vaf tells the cpu how much fuel is going in, and if you push that cone it's sensing an increase in air volume, therefore the ECU says, hey put more fuel in. If the engine stays running only if you push that cone, that tells me that when the cone isn't pushed your not getting enough fuel (yah I'm assuming you already came to that conclusion) I'd check fuel pressure, and try using a different VAF. Double check wiring. After that maybe ECU. It's a strange problem, but good luck!
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”