K8 to KLZE/DE swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
OutlaW

K8 to KLZE/DE swap

Post by OutlaW »

I have seen that for the OBDII MX3 gang there can be some trouble in this swap ...
If i can get a KLZE/DE from a >1995 MX6 will it have a OBDII too ?
I mean, i have a K8 OBDII Mx3, will it be easier to get the KLZE/DE engine from a newer or older MX6 ?
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Re: K8 to KLZE/DE swap

Post by JoshVK »

mine is out of a 94 works fine in my obd II
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

recently i have found a Spanish second hand car parts website, and i can get a KLDE or ZE ...
Before i order it, i would like to know if i should get a newer one, or the OBDII problems will allways appear :?:
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

anyone ?
colinf004

Post by colinf004 »

I have a 94 mx-3 gs, swapped a 93 probe gt into it, I don't have a kl31 ecu or a chip in it yet, car runs lean, fuel burns a little faster, sounds rich. I know the ecu will fit it..my question is that I need a diagram picture of aall the vacuum lines, when I am in 5th gear my car starts to chug when I accelerate, and when I am idling the engine revs up and down. if you guys can help me out, much appreciated.
stephen-mx3

Post by stephen-mx3 »

OutlaW wrote:recently i have found a Spanish second hand car parts website, and i can get a KLDE or ZE ...:?:
any chance i could get the website??!!
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

there's a non-true ZE on uk ebay now

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAZDA-626-XEDOS-9 ... 286.c0.m14

same one as James of uk-mx3
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

i think i finally made up my mind ...
let me know if i went the wrong way with these thoughts:

I am going to get a 94+ KLDE because :

1st - it's a great bhp add on the K8
2nd - it's an engine that can take some beating
3rd - sure we start off with 30 or 40 less bhp than a KLZE ... but join me on this - I have an agressive line of driving , if a car can make 7200 rpm before fuel cut off, i often use the engine to 7000rpm or more . I almost everyday pull the hell out off the car. If the KLZE is a not so reliable engine, and because here in Portugal we cannot get our hands on aftermarket engine parts for the KL engines... shouldn't i get a more tuff engine like a KLDE ?
4th - I love to get more power out of an engine, but i am not rich ... so with the poorboy's aftermarket bhp boosts ( turbo kit, or nitro ) the KLDE wins again ...
5th - I cannot get my hands on a 93+ KLZE ... these engines seem to be very old, and the OBDI can become a problem to my OBDII MX3. Since i can get 95+ KLDE's ... arent those a more sure bet ?
6th - I dont really know what the future brings, but in a real world line ... i will not win the lotto . So i should really invest in the engine that best suits my driving skills and behaviour ... because of 40 bhp, should i bet on a KLZE and blow out a great engine ? i mean, i love MX3 ... i dont want to make a bad bet ...
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

hey , i have a de and love it. its built a little but its great. i havent been in a ze to compair..but i also have obdII car and i used a engine out of a 94 i believe and i jsut used k8 dist, and k8 ecu and MAF but i havent been able to find an obdII ecu...
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ok this has been discussed already but for our friend across the pond I'll say it again. There is no such thing as OBD1 or OBD2 engines. When you get your engine, DE or hopefully ZE place your K8 engine beside the new one and transfer all the vac lines and stuff over so the ZE looks the same are you K8 did. Drop it in the car with new O2 sensors (check FAQ I have a post in there on them) and after setting your TPS and idle go out and enjoy yourself. I put a KL02 VAF on mine and found the engine runs better but if your looking more at racing, the JE50 may give you more high RPM power. Some people replace their FPR with aftermarket AFPR set to 45 PSI. Any more questions let me know, I drive mine everyday and it's been very dependable. Don't foreget you need a better clutch and your cheapest solution is to fill your engine mounts with Durathane 94 or some 2 part equivalent. Aprecie o lengh extra em sua masculinidade que você começ de ter um ZE no carro. Compreenda :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

LOL Daninski, never use online translator's ... you wrote this :
Enjoy the lengh extra in your manhoud that you start to have with a ZE in the car. Understand :D
I think you were triyng to tell me this :
Enjoy the extra lenght in your manhoud that a ZE will give you. Word :D
I am sorry if i make some old questions, but search doesnt work very well for me :(
I know that there are no OBDI and OBDII engines , that is on the ECU and wiring of the car ... i think
I can only find 93 or older KLZE ... and i can find 96 and 97 KLDE ... :confused2:
If the ZE is not meant to take hard driving, why will i slay a good engine ? The DE is less powerfull, but can take a beating :D
I cant wait to order my engine :D
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

One way or the other you got the message. Lots of people run their Ze's hard. My advise is to go for it. Maybe do the valve retainer change if your worried. The ZE will run great in your 96. Remember you have a much more sophisticated ECU than the paper weight in the 92-95's. I drive my stock K8 sometimes and it reminds me of the difference my ZE makes. By the way with the ZE I'm now a stand in for Ron Jeremy. :lol: No it's not because I have a gut too. :oops:
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Mine is a well tuned DE with ZE pistons, and cams, and a few people have said it's the strongest pulling 2.5 MX-3 they've driven (out of about 9). I can't say much, though, until I go to the drags tomorrow. I'll post my times.
Speaking of "The Hedgehog" (Ron Jeremy)... He used to come to a club I worked with for "Fetish night" in Waikiki, with Verne Troyer (Mini me). It was fun.. If you say "Mini me", he'd flip you off with his tiny finger. He's so cute when he's angry. Ron was there when I got a brand that covers 3/4 of my back, that took 3 1/2 hours.

Sorry to get off subject Outlaw, but You would be very pleased with a high compression DE. Mine was built for low end torque, and it's almost hard to drive because it wants to spin in first.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I didn't have that high of an opinon of you before :) and now your saying you worked at a club that had regular fetish nights? Geeeezzzz Only question at this time is (can't believe I'm asking this is) what did you wear on those nights? Please don't say silver. lol
And now back to 'the KLZE/DE swap'.
Last edited by Daninski on September 12th, 2008, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Dan [Sac]

Post by Dan [Sac] »

You can use the ZE in an OBDII car without problems. The long block is what you swap, and all your OBDII specific hardware moves from your K8 to the ZE. Personally I would try to find a curved neck ZE intake manifold rather than use the tiny K8 IM on the ZE.

But OBDI/OBDII should not have ANY issues with a KLDE/KLZE from an OBDI car as long as all your accessories get moved from the K8 to the DE/ZE. By accessories I mean things like alternator/PS pump, EGR/smog equipment, coolant sensors, exhaust manifolds, etc.
'90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
'93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods... 10.24 @ 139.5 mph [20 psi] - 545 whp, 490 wtq @ 21psi
1997 Ford Probe GTS (Hybrid) - RWD Conversion - Build Thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”