What Higher Amp Alternators can we use

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Daninski
Supporting Member

What Higher Amp Alternators can we use

Post by Daninski »

I know the Millenia alt comes in 120 amp but it's next to impossible to find one of these. Is there any other alternator that can be used as my 90 amp alt is at the end of it's life. Thanks
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Re: What Higher Amp Alternators can we use

Post by wytbishop »

I had my stock alternator reconditioned at an auto electric shot for $75. Looks like new and will last another 10 years.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Daninski wrote:I know the Millenia alt comes in 120 amp but it's next to impossible to find one of these. Is there any other alternator that can be used as my 90 amp alt is at the end of it's life. Thanks
pretty sure the millenia is 110 amp... anyways just go to your local auto parts store and buy one refurbished :shrug:

I actually had a warranty on my k8 alternator and traded it back to the store for a millenia 8)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Mooneggs, didn't you do a post on how to fit a millenia alt without the millenia brackets?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

yeah it's in my fast car worklog but I bought the alternator on this board and it was modified to fit the k8 bracket...
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Thanks, I'll check out your work log again. :)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ya, the Millenia had either a 90amp or 110amp. If i remember right it was only the earlier ones. They dropped the 110amp one after a few years. As for when and what years, I have no idea.

You can also get them rewound for more amperage. relisys_3200 got his done I believe to 200amps

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... &hilit=200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

200 amps, no sh*t. I can feel my idle dropping for a moment when I put on the brakes at idle and I just gave my spare alt to my friend.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

The higher the Amps are in the Alternator your better of using more powerfull wire from your Alternator to your battery., I am using a 160 Amp Alternator with 0 gauge wireing from the Alternator to my battery and its been in there since i did the KLZE swap almost 2years ago, and ive never had a problem with it.. But i also put a 160 amp Alternator in, cause im running 2 15inch Kicker's L7's at 2000 watts a piece.. But id still suggest trying a bigger Wire
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

So once again my friends, size does matter. Thanks :wink:
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Daninski wrote:200 amps, no sh*t. I can feel my idle dropping for a moment when I put on the brakes at idle and I just gave my spare alt to my friend.
Don't think that's an alternator issue... wiring and grounds would be my guess.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:
Daninski wrote:200 amps, no sh*t. I can feel my idle dropping for a moment when I put on the brakes at idle and I just gave my spare alt to my friend.
Don't think that's an alternator issue... wiring and grounds would be my guess.
Good point. Unless he's drawing so much current with other things that the brake lights put it over the 90 amps, which I highly doubt he's doing.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

If you go for a Millenia alt.. get one from one of the 2.5L cars. The alternators from the 2.3 Supercharged cars are different. 97 is the year where they went back to a 90 amp version. But 93-96 should all be 110 amp. I found one on ebay for $30 shipped from a junkyard back east. Been running on it for 2 years with no issues :) I modded my bracket to mount it and ran a longer than average belt for it too. There are several ways to set one up. Keep in mind that the Millenia alt has 3 wires for its harness rather than the 2 that our cars have stock. You can get a plug for one from most decent auto electric shops. I know a place near me that sells them for $11. I did a write up on it.. but the pics for part 2 of the write up got hosed so I never finished it.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
rufireproof
antispam: No

Post by rufireproof »

Mine does that too. Are you sure it's electrical? I suspect the brake booster has a vacuum leak. That's what I think mine is. Check for Vac leaks elsewhere as well. You can look for them everywhere but the brake booster by spraying a little bit of starting fluid in the engine bay. If it revs higher, you have a leak. You may not find a leak in the break booster that way though. To verify it's electrical, let it idle in neutral without pressing the bakes with the heater blower and brights turned on. If it idles differently when you turn the blower and brights off, your issue is electrical. Hope this helps.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”