Extreme Transmission Lubricant Comparison

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Extreme Transmission Lubricant Comparison

Post by wyldside »

Here is a great comparison of various transmission fluids under extreme testing. The weights tested were all for Automatic transmission, but it gives a good indication of the brand. I currently use Redline, but I think I'll switch back to Amsoil. Lucas and Royal Purple = Bad.
Gear Lube Testing and Comparison
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
solo_ryder

Re: Extreme Transmission Lubricant Comparison

Post by solo_ryder »

YES, another beleiver!

Amsoil = FTMFW

Have been using it since I started driving mx3's and I must say that this stuff is amazing. :)
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

transmission topic, not v6 engine topic
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I'll argue on Lucas products as I'm the only person on here holding Pro-LX Gear boxes together at 500HP levels. It's the only gear oil I've used that has NEVER allowed a drive train to fail on me! Redline has failed on this setup at lower power levels. I'm using 80w90 Lucas gear oil with one bottle of Lucas Trans Fix. It takes a block or two for the gear oil to get warm enough to slam gears in the winter. But it has done wonders for me in the Pro-LX gear boxes and in others.

Yes, AMSOIL is some wonderful stuff as well!

I've also found Lucas oil stabilizer works wonders too with unbeleivable protection! I use it as a cutting lube for boring and drilling....you ever seen a fluid run back down a drill bit to the hot spot while it is turning!?!? I've also see it save my cams during a catastrophic engine failure...started the car 3 days later with no oil in it to drive it up hill (my drive way) on 3 cylinders to put it in the garage. I was sure the cams would have gotten wiped but the Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer still had an amazing film protecting them!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Look at the first page. Drivetrain Division September 2007 AMSOIL INC. It's a promo by AMSOIL. There's another web site that shows LUCAS additives as being total crap so my question is. Who do you believe?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

It's true that they could be biased towards their product, but at the same token the tests do appear legitimate. I guess you'd never really know until an independent review panel does their own test. I still try to rely on personal experience. I've used Redline, Royal Purple, and Amsoil and all seem to perform just fine. Synchros seem to work better, and better on cold days. But that's all I can test from the drivers seat, and that really what matters to me.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:

Return to “Transmissions”