Help, My 96 Disty won't work on my KLZE, why?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Daninski
Supporting Member

Help, My 96 Disty won't work on my KLZE, why?

Post by Daninski »

I just installed a ZE in my 96. I think the ZE is a 92-94 anyway. The firing order on the Disty cap is differnt for my 96 than the firing order on the cap thats presently on the ZE. I never new differnt ZE's use different Disty's. I always assumed you use the one from your car. Dealer said I have to use the one that's on the ZE. Can I use my 96 Disty and just connect the wires in a different order to compensate for the different firing order of the 96 Disty? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Help, My 96 Disty won't work on my KLZE, why?

Post by Daninski »

I have to believe I posted this on a off nite. Someone must have info on ZE Ditributor compatability. I know I read something about this before but I'm unable to find anything now. Anyone?
EDIT: Appearently the 3 pin plug changed around 94-95 that's what makes the Disties non-interchangeable but the 3 wires can be changed around. Does anyone know which wire changes to where? The newer Disties are suppose to be much more dependable .
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... /Z-040.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Thanks for the Schematic link. I didn't see where the year was shown. What I'm asking is can a distributor that has a different firing order on the cap be used as long as I change the wires to match the original disty order. The firing order on on the ZE disty is different than the one from my 96 GS whee I just installed the ZE. The newer disty's are suppose to be better so I'd like to use my 96 disty. I know now that the three wire plug needs to have the wires switched as well.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

NO - you have to use the disti with the right firing order as assigned in your ECU - i had to use my 93 K8 disti with my 96+ ZE because the firing order was different.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

OK I have the older Disty installed but another issue raised it's ugly head. The 3 wire plug going into the disty is wired different for the 95-96. The link to that is no good so I asked Custommx if he could fix it. Did you rewire the plug? Any opinion on the idea of simply ignoring the wiring on the cap and plugging the spark plug wires in the same order as on the older (93) disty? My cars tied up till I figure this one out. Cheers
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

i didnt rewire anything on my disti - when my car wouldnt start with the ZE disti - i put the K8 disti in and it fired right up - i didnt change any plug wires around or anything - just changed the disti....hope this helps
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

The 3 wire plug on your disty was compatable with the disty you installed. I need to figure out the difference between the 92-94 and the 95-96 3 wire schematics. Thanks.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

i guess - like i said - i just plugged up the K8 disti into the ZE and obviously the K8 wiring harness since i didnt change that out - so there should be no problem using your K8 disti with your wiring harness unless you changed it out.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Yes use the disty that came with your car and ditch the KLZE disty - you dont have to deal with the wiring that way and it will be easier to get cap & rotor replacements later - if you use KLZE disty you might have to import those from japan (if e.g. local rotors dont fit or something).

The schematic is for 95 model year from the 95 workshop manual. The manual also has the firing order specified in there somewhere. I dont know if it is correct because it gives the wrong firing order for 4 cyls - Since 96 model year moved towards OBD2 - there still may be changes from the 95 model.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

The ZE had an MX3 disty not a ZE disty when I took the motor out of a 92 MX3. I just don't under stand why the firing order on the caps show a different order. I'll install the 96 disty and hope for the best. If that dosen't work eventually I'll need to figure out which wires to flip on the 3 wire plug. Thanks
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

ok - then i think you need a disti for the ZE - thats the prob - if the ZE was in a 92 - then it had to use the K8 disti, like my 93 did. thats why the firing order is different - which means that motor is a 96+ probably. i would try a ZE disti or one with the same original firing order as your car...
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I just found out that the numbers on the cap are only there to show you where the ignition wires go and does not necessarily represent firing order which is of course 123456. I installed my 96 disty and the car fired up fine. I guess I have to stop thinking in terms how things use to be but how things are now. Lets do a post on who's the biggest Nob and give an example of what makes you Nobby.
Last edited by Daninski on June 22nd, 2008, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

well - there you go - but i wouldnt agree with the numbering statement - my K8 disti was labeled differently than the ZE disti - thats how i knew the order was different
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I stand corrected, post edited. On to my next erroneous extrapolation. :)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”