Which OBD2 reader should I buy

A forum for posting automotive related Images & Video Clips. (Please keep it clean, no profanity or offensive material.)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Which OBD2 reader should I buy

Post by Daninski »

Ok I see lots of the OBD2 code readers on Ebay but which one do I buy. I do have access to a laptop if thats a better route to go. Any advise here. Thanks in advance
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Which OBD2 reader should I buy

Post by umcamara »

'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I assume you connect it to a Laptop? How is the software?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ukrman

Post by Ukrman »

i know newer cars have it for emissions and stuff, what do you guys use it for? for check engines lights and stuff?
92 Mazda MX3 GS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ukrman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - cardomain page
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=66481 - worklog
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=72099 - feedback
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71757 - stuff for sale
http://s2.metaldamage.com/c.php?uid=159229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - biggest waste of time

umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

There's 3 different protocols for OBD-II. The MX-3's protocol is ISO 9141-2, that's the only protocol that reader will work for, and yes you connect it through your laptop. You can get all kinds of software for it, but the freeware that it comes with is sufficient for me. It allows you to read check engine codes, as well as monitor a whole bunch of different sensors. It's actually really cool.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Before you buy - make sure you have the right protocol -
https://www.scantool.net/support/index. ... =3&nav=0,1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

shameem wrote:Before you buy - make sure you have the right protocol -
https://www.scantool.net/support/index. ... =3&nav=0,1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Did you read my post right above yours? :wink:
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

umcamara wrote:
shameem wrote:Before you buy - make sure you have the right protocol -
Did you read my post right above yours? :wink:
hmmm must have missed it somehow. Anyways its good to check since i have seen some mazdas (proteges) this side of the border use the Ford protocol.....
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Just an FYI to newbs reading this, only 96+ cars can use this. Dont go buy a obd2 scanner for your 92, it wont work!.

http://www.obdpros.com/product_info.php?products_id=133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thats what I have for my MS6. I use it w/ my carPC. Has double buffering to help with the dataflow.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Thanks Guys, I had no idea about protocol. I'll need one of these once I get my ZE in. I'm kinda going slow because being OBD2 I want things to work the first time. Again thanks.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

Daninski wrote:Thanks Guys, I had no idea about protocol. I'll need one of these once I get my ZE in. I'm kinda going slow because being OBD2 I want things to work the first time. Again thanks.
what are you planning to do for tunning? i have my KLZE in the 96, with all reg sensors and je50. but i dont have VIRS vacume hooked up anymore as points were off....
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I've read the low RPM is right on it's the higher RPM point that's out by about 1,000 RPM too high. I was also told to use the KL02 VAF (check out an earlier post by me on this). I've re Emailed someone who's done a lot of 96 swaps to try and clarify sensors. He did say use all the K8 cooling system sensors if your running the curved neck. MDS window switches would fix your VRIS issue. Check out this link; http://www.bcpoc.ca/TechInfo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

i have a straight neck tho... :)
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

My ZE was a srtraight neck but had the intake changed to curved for fitment. I'm doing all the work myself so I'm taking this slow. I ordered the same headers as nightfire, good deal. They're stainless steel back to the cat, got mine for $156. delivered. I'm still looking for a reasonable place to buy O2 sensors, with these engines running rich I figured the ECU needs all the help it can get. I suspect MDS windows switches will be a future purchase to take care of the VRIS issue. Can you tell me if the process to set the TPS is the same for the 96 as it is for 95 on back models?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I was told to use a KL02 VAF that it works better in the 96. Nitefire just did his 96 and even though he didn't install the lower two sensors in the exhaust his engines running great. There is an issue with wandering idle but I thought I heard something about the coolant to the throttle causing that. Any comments?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Return to “Images/Videos Forum”