96 ECU differences

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Daninski
Supporting Member

96 ECU differences

Post by Daninski »

I have a 96 GS that I want to ZE. Problem is the ECU pins are different. Can anyone point me in the right direction to either get my ECU chipped or if a Jspec ECU for a 96 exists. Thanks
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: 96 ECU differences

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I had the same issue with the 96 RS. There are too many different pins. Save yourself the trouble and swap the harness and ecu.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I was told swapping the harnesses is a biotch of a job. I've messaged "The Probinator" to see if he has a modded chip for the 96 obd2 harnessed engine. (KLZE) I await his response.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

Daninski wrote:I was told swapping the harnesses is a biotch of a job. I've messaged "The Probinator" to see if he has a modded chip for the 96 obd2 harnessed engine. (KLZE) I await his response.

he told me he cant...

Just out of curiousity where did you get you KLZE?
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

hereis a list of places to get a KLZE. from what i understand - and i could be wrong - you should be able to use your ECU with the ZE. in my 93 MX3 1.8 - i installed a 96+ ZE and was able to use my original ECU, but i did have to change out the disti - due to the firing order on the ZE being different. while i was at it - i swapped out the coolant inlet (with the secondary coolant sensor) and redid my timing belt. now my car is one fast a-- beast - literally. i am beating just about anything that comes my way - including an IS300 and an F2T my buddy has in his 626 and i havent even rechipped my ecu yet. cant imagine what a beast it will be then. i know that you cannot use a 626 or MX6 ecu that came out of a car that did not have the secondary sensor on the coolant inlet. it will not turn your fans on - that was my experience when i tried this.

why do you want to switch ECUs anyway and not just use the K8 ECU? or am i missing something?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ya your 93 MX3 is OBD1 (EEC4) but my 96 MX3 is OBD2 and thats a different ECU. I don't believe the year of the ZE matters it's the fact that the newer ECU's can't be chipped so my VRIS and fuel management will be wrong.
Anyone know if there's a Mazda OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness out there or if it can even be done that way if I build one myself?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

then just get a ZE ECU then - right?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Just to close this post. There are no ZE OBD2 ECU's. No chips, no nothing. Install the ZE ensure it's configuered like your 96-97. Once installed use a KL02 VAF, set your TPS, idle and then buy those MDS window switches for the VRIS. Thats it.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”