KLZE on K8 OBD-II ECU - what are the differences?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nightfire

KLZE on K8 OBD-II ECU - what are the differences?

Post by nightfire »

Ok, so it looks like I'm going to keep the '96 OBD-II ECU for my klze.

Does anyone know exactly what will be suboptimal? I understand the check engine light will be on due to EGR failure and probably other things, and that the VRIS points won't quite be right (though I'll be using a Millenia intake).

Will the timing/fuel maps be close enough?

Also, does anyone know if probinator makes a chip that will work in an OBD-II ECU? Or, is it possible to reprogram the ECU through the debugging port?

Does anyone have the pinout for the 4 connectors? If I can't reprogram, I'll probably switch to a megasquirt some time later (after the swap).

TIA. :)
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Re: KLZE on K8 OBD-II ECU - what are the differences?

Post by JoshVK »

nightfire wrote:Ok, so it looks like I'm going to keep the '96 OBD-II ECU for my klze.

Also, does anyone know if probinator makes a chip that will work in an OBD-II ECU? Or, is it possible to reprogram the ECU through the debugging port?

TIA. :)
Hey, Guess were in this together has I'm about to swap my 96 as well.
I emailed him yesterday about chipping ECU. = He can't.

Im using a 93 Parts car, going to pull ECU and Harness and install as i do swap, seems the easiest. and very worth it and the simplicity of OBD I

In a Month or so we should do a FAQ page on 96 cars... lol
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

well if its anything like an OBD-1 K8 ECU, then yes it will make it run like crap (Sputtering, bogging, very poor gas millage, shifting is hard to keep it from jolting.) in other words get a OBD-1 K8 ECU that you can chip with a Probinator chip.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Well... I've been getting mixed reports on the K8/OBD-II ecu (in other threads)... so, what the hell. I'll try it and see what happens. :)

If it doesn't work out I'll buy a standalone. Good excuse as any, right?
- Gord
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Throw a KL02 vaf from DE on it to lean out the mixture. You will get better gas mileage and a bit more power out of it.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

mx3autozam wrote:Throw a KL02 vaf from DE on it to lean out the mixture. You will get better gas mileage and a bit more power out of it.
That'll plug into a KL-08 ECU?
- Gord

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”