Swapping a KLZE into an OBD-II '96...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nightfire

Swapping a KLZE into an OBD-II '96...

Post by nightfire »

Ok, so I intentionally didn't check if I was running an OBD-II ECU before buying my KLZE so that I wouldn't be dissuaded from trying the swap. 8)

As it turns out, I do have an OBD-II ecu. I've searched around and it looks like this is still a relatively rare swap. So, gurus of engine management:

Am I in over my head? I've got plenty of soldering and electronics experience, and moderate mechanic experience (clutch swap, suspension, brakes, etc).

Am I better off looking at a megasquirt or some other standalone ECU?

Would probinator's chip work in my current K8 ECU, or is it limited to OBD-I boards?

If anyone here has done the swap, can you offer any insight/pointers? Things I'll need to order (ie. VAF, disty, etc).

I'll write up a journal as I go through the swap.
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
se7en

Re: Swapping a KLZE into an OBD-II '96...

Post by se7en »

well, a lot depends on what you get when the engine arrives. Did you order it with an ecu? harness? if so, then just swap that in.
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

se7en wrote:well, a lot depends on what you get when the engine arrives. Did you order it with an ecu? harness? if so, then just swap that in.
I've already got it, and no ECU. The OBD-II harness is 4 connectors anyway, so unless I replaced the wiring, I couldn't plug a KL-31 in anyway.
- Gord
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Just get the harness from a pre-OBD-II GS.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

umcamara wrote:Just get the harness from a pre-OBD-II GS.
Do you mean rip up the existing wiring from the ECU to the engine and replace it with OBD-I wiring?

Are you sure that will work? Are all the non-engine plugs compatible (O2, thermal, fan, etc)
- Gord
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Its a direct swap for an OBD-II. Don't change anything. I've done many swaps on OBD-II MX-3/MX-6/Probes.

You won't have the correct VRIS points of a straight neck KLZE because of the ECU but that can be fixed by MSD window switches. But if your using a curve neck ZE your Factory ECU is the closest thing your gonna find to have the correct VRIS points. Which is one VRIS dead on, and the other only off by 500-1000 RPM.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Slammed6 wrote:Its a direct swap for an OBD-II. Don't change anything. I've done many swaps on OBD-II MX-3/MX-6/Probes.

You won't have the correct VRIS points of a straight neck KLZE because of the ECU but that can be fixed by MSD window switches. But if your using a curve neck ZE your Factory ECU is the closest thing your gonna find to have the correct VRIS points. Which is one VRIS dead on, and the other only off by 500-1000 RPM.
I'll be using a Millenium curved neck intake.

So I should be reusing my k8 disty? What about the airflow sensor?
- Gord
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

If your using a Curve neck just use all your K8 parts on it. VAF, Disty, Exhaust manifolds, Not very difficult at all.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Slammed6 wrote:If your using a Curve neck just use all your K8 parts on it. VAF, Disty, Exhaust manifolds, Not very difficult at all.
Ok, thanks. :) That's what I'll do.
- Gord
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

OK you said you've done a lot of OBD2 swaps and had no problems but aren't the voltages to the o2 sensors differt? The OBD2 has a little higher voltage than the OBD1. Anyway, how long does changeing the harness take and do you have any pointers as I plan to start mine this weekend.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

OK, I spoke with Sean at StreetImports and he said he hasn't heard of anyone who has successfully installed a ZE in an OBD2 system. There's no support and the amount of work and money to get it running right, well he said some guys never got it operating properly so. I'm swapping everything into my 92 and using that car for the ZE swap. If your still undetered then the best ECU to use is out of a 96 Probe GT IAW Sean. When someone has sold hundreds if not thousands of ZE's it's really hard not to listen to their advise. If anyone does do the swap and can honestly say the engine runs properly I'll donate $30. to MX3. Hey I'm on a fixed income ok. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Daninski wrote:If anyone does do the swap and can honestly say the engine runs properly I'll donate $30 to MX3
hoffman_BMX89 had it swapped in his. I dont remember all the details, but I think he only had an EGR CEL, but it was apparently pretty quick.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Question, what do the OBDII Mx-3's use for a VAF?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Question, what do the OBDII Mx-3's use for a VAF?
I'll check tonight. I remember seeing a JE50, but I think that was on my new KLZE.

I notice in your sig you're runnin a KLZE with a bigger throttle body, exhaust, headers, etc.. are you really only gettin <150hp at the wheels?
- Gord
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

nightfire wrote:I notice in your sig you're runnin a KLZE with a bigger throttle body, exhaust, headers, etc.. are you really only gettin <150hp at the wheels?
Some of those mods weren't installed when I did the dyno back then, as well, we found out at I wasn't at WOT at full throttle, slack in the throttle cable. We all dyno'd under 150 that day so we're skeptical about the results. I'm anxious to get dyno'd again to be honest. There's a dyno day Sunday, but I'll be on my way back from Virginia (flying to VA from FL Friday night) that same Sunday, but I also need to do an external coil mod when I get home, just ordered the cable to go from the coil to the cap after work today. After we did some work and put in my Outlaw spacers the car felt great, until the coil went, which started that day as well. So I'm anxious to get home and get her up and running good again. :welder:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”