Ebay headers: opinion?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nightfire

Ebay headers: opinion?

Post by nightfire »

Sup. :)

I'm gettin ready to order some headers. Has anyone tried these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Performa ... enameZWDVW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They should fit, assuming I move the cat back a few inches, right? I'll be bolting them up to a KLZE.

Does stainless steel discolour, or just regular steel? If I get these, should I have them ceramic coated?

*edit* oh, also... does the KLZE have an EGR port on the intake, or do I skip it completely?
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
se7en

Re: Ebay headers: opinion?

Post by se7en »

they will fit no problem.

ya, the cat will have to be removed.

ZE have no egr. just plug it with the supplied bung.

Ya, they discolor. they turn a kind of copper bronze color.

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

the only negative thing that i have heard about is that the welded flange can be off-centered connecting to the exhaust. but remember you will have to have a custom exhaust made to accept the new headers. i would not worry about the headers being ceramic coated or being pretty at all you can barely see the front one and the rear is totally no viewable since it is covered by the intake manifold. also you may want to summon some help if you have never done this before.
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm going to have mine ceramic coated to keep the gasses hot. It will improve gas mileage, and performance a little, and keep the engine bay a little cooler. I've done this on other vehicles. I'll probably wrap them, too, and most of the exhaust pipe (I have a roll of header wrap that I got free).
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

fowljesse wrote:I'm going to have mine ceramic coated to keep the gasses hot. It will improve gas mileage, and performance a little, and keep the engine bay a little cooler. I've done this on other vehicles. I'll probably wrap them, too, and most of the exhaust pipe (I have a roll of header wrap that I got free).
either wrap them or ceramic coat. dont do both... wrap will destroy ceramic coat finish.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Does anyone know if ceramic coating can be done DIY? Is there some kind of spray, or does it require a kiln?

Anyone know of a shop that does it in the Montreal/Ottawa area? :)
- Gord
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

you need special equipment. pretty much like powdercoating
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

mitmaks wrote:you need special equipment. pretty much like powdercoating
Hmmf. I googled around and looks like the going rate is around $200-300 for two headers, plus shipping. Seems kinda silly applying that to a $100 set of headers.

I guess I'll see how they fare without it.
- Gord
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Thanks, mitmaks! That would have sucked! I have done both seperately. I just thought that if you could coat inside and out, you could just wrap the outside... That's what I get for thinkin.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mushkid

Post by mushkid »

why not wrap it then spray it, thats what i did
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

What do you mean, exactly, and how long has it been that way?
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

mushkid wrote:why not wrap it then spray it, thats what i did
I'm pretty sure it wont last as long as you might think. Wrap likes to hold in moisture and if you didn't prep headers right then they're going to rust from the inside out. Of course c/coating will slow down corrosion process but eventually rust will come out.
390ish

Post by 390ish »

I never got around to coating my SSautochrome headers.
X3RCKT

Post by X3RCKT »

A buddy of mine got those for his probe and had an issue where the Y pipe was welded. It got a little split in it. We were not sure if it was in there prior to (like a crack that opened up more or not) but just thought I would give the heads up if you start getting a leak, that is usually where it happens on those.

For the price you really cant beat them though.
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

i bought those exact headers for my ZE swap and they work great!! no big fitment or build issues and definitely no performance issues. the build was like 2mm off and i had to pry the crap out of them to get the header-pipe flanges to line up to the headers - but overall it wasnt a big deal. i would suggest them to anyone.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”