noob needs some advice

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Havoc11

noob needs some advice

Post by Havoc11 »

Hi everyone I might as well introduce myself as I see all the other new guys doing so. I live in saskatoon in Canada (I seen a few other mx3'ers on the forums from here) and have recently bought a 95' mx3 GS. A quick overview of what I got is a black mx3 in good condition with 163k on the body and engine. It is running the 1.8L v6 5speed and boy is it a fun little toy. I will hopefully get some pictures soon but I am in need of some basic advice. I recently fixed an exhaust leak and stuck a magnaflow muffler on it. My main focus as of now is the whole concept of the cool air intake. because of where I live, especially at this time of year, I don't think I could run the CIA that I see most people mounting onto there mx3's ( due to rain and puddles everywhere) . My question is what would be my best bet for a new air intake mount and filter? The one I have on my car is not proper for the car ( the mount is mostly hanging and resting on other things) as well the filter is extremely dirty. I read that most everyone takes the CIA from the 90-93 integras? when i looked these up however there seemed to be many diffrent shapes and sizes, which should I get for my car. thanks in advance for any help on this topic.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: noob needs some advice

Post by fowljesse »

Welcome to the boards! Look at the very first topic in this section "Hoodsey's how to..."
And for future questions, do a search (in the red bar, under the MX-3). There are thousands of answers in here!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Havoc11

Post by Havoc11 »

I've read through everyone of the cold air intake sticky's but as I said I live in a place where puddles and rain is a big issue, so I wouldn't be able to extend the CIA to the drivers side front wheel. I was wondering what other Options I have for say a shorter intake that puddles and rain wont affect.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

you can always buy an AEM water bypass valve... although I trusted mine for a year running it super low to the ground, there is always some risk... there is alot of discussion of CAI on this board and arguments/discussions about the actual gains to receive from installing a CAI....

I'm running mine into my fender now and I don't really notice too much difference from when I was running it low to the ground... (page 2 of my fast car worklog). :shrug:
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I haven't read the how-tos in a while... I assumed they said to put the filter in the inside of the fender. I live in south Washington - The land of rain - and I have had no problems, having the filter down in the fender, just in front of the wheel well.
Look at the "Let's see your engine bays" topic. Alot of us have this setup.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

YES! Another sask mx-er!

Me, Smith18 and Electric Energy are all from saskatoon and all have KLZE's, all with CAI, and so far it's been fine (there was some heavy rain last year) Also, winter has been good too. There are very very small holes in the fender there, so the change of water getting in there and getting into the filter is VERY slim. Remember that you have to suck up more than a few tablespoons to hydro lock your motor.

Anyway I hope to see you around! I drive a blue Mx-3 (check my profile) Electric Enegery (david) has a black one, lowered, and Smith (Tyler) has a red one with VSX front and back. I'll be watchin out for ya!

Also add me on msn (tykrause@hotmail.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”