G5M-R and G25M-R vs. F5M-R and F25M-R

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Leedeth

G5M-R and G25M-R vs. F5M-R and F25M-R

Post by Leedeth »

I've heard bad things about the G5M from a fellow Probe-r... http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 140#166140" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
usually on probe/mx6 transes, the cases crack because they are weak and stress points arent very planned out by mazda ending up with a big stress area over by the back mount. wheelhop, hard shifting, but mostly wheelhop is what ends up cracking the case.
when you go north of 200 hp, differential pin doesnt like to stay in the differential anymore and prefers to exit the transmission via a convenient hole in the case.
then 3rd and 5th gears are weak. boosted people tend to bust their 3rd gears, because with how quick ratio'd our transmissions are, 2nd gear is too short for boost and traction, 3rd gear ends up being the fun gear.
Does the F-series have the same weaknesses? And what are the differences between the 5 and 25 versions for both series?
92 MX-3 RS (B6-ME, MTX) - front/rear strut bars
Leedeth

Re: G5M-R and G25M-R vs. F5M-R and F25M-R

Post by Leedeth »

Anyone? I'd like to know the differences.
kiwimx3

Post by kiwimx3 »

Search is your friend. The F serise case is just glass, the G serise is better.
Third gear is the weak link, swap it for a GTX third which seems to be the
strongest OEM item.

You can stop the cases cracking by using body plates and redoing the mount
system like I have. ( read a lot of custom work )
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

The case cracking is a problem for probe owners it seems and not so much mx3 owners. This may have to do with the way the rear mount is on the probe tranny compared to the mx3. I havent really heard of any mx3 owners (gs) that have had broken cases
Ice Racing

Post by Ice Racing »

I don't want to shift post but i would like to know more about that GTX 3rd gear, I Have an open tranny and access to OEM parts might as well order the right one.
GS KLZE FOR ICE RACING
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I've not heard much about a 3rd gear swap. Ice- I've raced on my stock tranny for many years and not had a problem. After 5 years now I think it might need a refresh on the synchros, but that is common wear and tear. As for the post that started it all- the diff in the G and F for the 4 banger guys is the webbing on the G that is not on the F. The webbing makes all the difference in how much abuse the trans can take. The G is Much more beefy in that department. The Kia G (4 banger) and any V6 G have a decent amount more webbing. The Mazda/Ford four banger G have less webbing than the Kia or V6 G, meaning that they are the better if you can get one and plan on needing it. Basically it...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Leedeth

Post by Leedeth »

kiwimx3 wrote:Search is your friend.
:lol: Oh but I did.

Thanks guys.
inferno94

Post by inferno94 »

The f trans has wider ratios too, so though a weaker case (I've been using one with a modded bpt for years) their ratios are more suited to a boosted engine. 2nd isn't completely useless and you rev lower in 5th.

Mind you I've spun both tires all the way to 5th (shifted into 5th at ~150kph) gear but thats a problem with the stupid 4.1 fd.

Return to “Transmissions”