Millenia Alternator

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
*PyRoTeCh*

Millenia Alternator

Post by *PyRoTeCh* »

I was wondering if the Millenia 110AMP alternator will work with the 1.6L DOHC (B6)? I've been searching the forums and have not found a definitive answer to my question. If this question has already been asked sorry for re-posting.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Re: Millenia Alternator

Post by Bumpysbro »

are you installing a big sound system? if not the v6 mx3 alternator bolts right up just swap the pulleys and i think you need a little longer bolt. but should work, the millenia alt needs to mess with the wiring i think and i remember tunes saying that alternator wouldnt be worth it since the drag it puts on the engine having to turn the pulley. dont go just on me wait for others but i would just get a bigger battery and v6 alternator. good luck
Jon
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Bumpy is right.. unless you have a serious need for that much more power.. the GS alternator is a better upgrade. For the GS alternator upgrade.. I think all you need is the longer bolt from the GS to make it work. Wiring is plug n play. For the millenia alternator.. its a bit more complex of a install. But can be done with minimal work. You will need either the millenia alternator bracket OR the K8 alternator bracket (Which you will need to modify) and you will need to get a millenia alternator wiring harness plug and adapt it to your engine bay wiring harness. Details of this are in the V6 FAQ forum. Its pretty much the same for the RS as it is for the GS.

Now.. realize that the higher the amperage output of the alternator.. the harder the engine has to work to spin the alternator. While its not really a big deal on V6 or bigger engines.. on the smaller 1.6L engines.. that additional drag could be noticed in a significant horsepower loss. So if the 90 amp GS alternator would work for you.. (rather than the stock 70 amp one) Thats what I would recommend before going with the Millenia alternator.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
*PyRoTeCh*

Post by *PyRoTeCh* »

Yes I do have a need for that much amperage. I'll be needing over 300amps for audio alone. Yes I will be running extra cells. There will be from 2 to 4 batteries depending on weather I can run a 16v system for the stereo components. This car is going to be more for show then go right now. I will be eventually putting in a BPT.

Basically I am redoing this car top to bottom. I mean everything will be coming off, acid dipped and then reassembled from the ground up. I will be starting a work log in the other forum with in the next few months to log everything. I'll probably be asking a whole lot more questions before then though so please bear with me ;).

I have a list longer then my arm in things that are going to be getting down and I hope I can call upon you guys for your advice and opinions.

Im assuming that without extensive modification I will not be able to run the millenia or duel setup, is this correct?

Also, I have read Tunes great FAQ on the Millenia alternator and a bunch of other posts regarding the GS alternator.
Thank you.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

There is minor modification needed to use the Millenia Alternator. If you have read my FAQ.. its the same for the 4cyl car as the V6. There is a 3rd wire from the Millenia alternator that needs a switched 12V source. Thats it for additional wiring. The other 2 wires are just cut and splice in for a different alternator plug. The bracket that holds the alternator in place will either need to be a modified K8 bracket or I "Think" the millenia bracket will work just fine. Likely you will need to change pulley's on the alternator too.. but I dont know that for certain. But that shouldnt be a big deal. A duel alternator setup is possible if you dont run air conditioning. But the brackets will all need to be custom made to hold the alternator in that location.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
*PyRoTeCh*

Post by *PyRoTeCh* »

Thank you everyone for replying so quickly. I did read your Millenia FAQ. Tunes but, I still wasn't 100% positive that I could use the Millenia Alternator on my B6.

Thank you.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”