cheaper LSD? would this work with our cars?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
se7en

cheaper LSD? would this work with our cars?

Post by se7en »

hmm, I think this lsd would work with our cars.....

http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/dsp ... ice=259.99

what does everyone else think?

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

The phantom grips have been discussed before. I know they put ALOT of wear and tear on the tranny.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I priced eerything necessary for a MazdaSpeed LSD retrofit with MX-6 5th gear last week at just over $1000.

QTY Part# Description

(1) GSY1-27-190 MazdaSpeed Protégé LSD...........$646.31

(1) F520-17-628 Primary Shaft Locknut................$17.48

(1) G501-17-629A Secondary Shaft Locknut............$14.25

(1) G501-17-341A Speedo Drive Gear....................$13.41

(2) G5R0-27-350B Carrier Bearings......................$46.51ea

(1) G560-17-611C MX-6/626 Primary Shaft 5th Gear..$99.90

(1) G514-17-308 MX-6/626 Secondary Shaft 5th Gear...$96.33

Total...............................................................................$980.70 +tx

There is a very thorough write up on imazda.com in the how to section.

http://www.imazda.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2701

I'm not sure if it's as bulletproof as the Quaiffe, but seems solid and for $1000 you'd have a pretty scookum tranny.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

It's now where close to the same COUNTRY in strenght compared to the Quaife LSD!

How do I know? Because I blew my Mazdaspeed LSD apart along with twisting 3 sets of axle splines and shearing a custom stub shaft (aquired through Corksport) completely in half. All in 30 ft at the drag strip about 8 months ago.

The MS LSD does work very good as long as you aren't making 500 ft/lbs. of torque and trying to launch hard on it...my problem was my tires hooked instead of spinning slightly as I was hoping for. :wink:

For pictures of what is left of the stub shaft...check out the link to my cardomain page.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Yeah I have no basis for comparison of the two setups. I just know that I can't afford a $1600 LSD and I don't plan on racing. I would like to make big power at some point, but I don't drive in a way that would put a solid MS diff in danger.

The MS is my plan for the future, for what it's worth.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

My question is: What is so special about the 4:11 MX6 5th gear. Like common sense tells me that if your installing a limited slip diff you are obviously wanting to improving traction in either drag racing or on hard cornering in road racing or autox or whatever you like to do. In that case you would want the 4:39 geared trans for the shorter gears.(shorter gears mean acclerate faster) I have done comparisons between the trannies because my brother has 4:11 gears in his Probe. The top end is barely any difference. It can do a higher top speed but why do we need to go that fast anyways.

Second of all. I am not saying this because I have a phantom Grip LSD. Which has failed for alot of people. The reason they fail is because it adds stress to the stock diff pin which is the weak point in the differentials in the G series tranny. Eventually the pressed in diff pin falls out of place and allows the side spider geras to fall out and which will destroy the trannmission. I run a phantom Grip with a welded in place diff pin. Has been going strong for 2 years now running 12.6 in another car with 50shots of NOS.

Ever heard of OMP? do a search on probetalk there a custom made limited slip for our cars that is pretty much the same setup as Phantom grip and a solid diff pin. The same with CZT tranny that is no longer avilable.

Now I will agree that the best diff is Quaife but you have to take into consideration the fact that its a totally different designed LSD compared to a Phanton Grip which is a Clutched LSD that works and operates the same as the good old Possi trac found in old muscle cars made by GM or the Detroit locker in ford.

Phantom grip LSD's work very good, they also know about the diff pin situation and make a thing called Diff pin saver. You get what you pay for. But hey this is just my 2cents. If you don't like it then move on and pretend you never read this. Have a great day!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo

Return to “Transmissions”