No brakes

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
zxac

No brakes

Post by zxac »

Hi, 94 4cyl. I got the car for a couple months now and the brake pedal have always been low but safe to drive. I decided to bleed all 4 brakes. No air at all, and no visible leaks. No improvement (maybe worst).

I changed the master cynlinder, bench bleed it correctly, changed the 2 rear wheel cylinder since its cheap, drum ajuster are fine, I hear the pads on the drums when i turn the wheels. I bleed again all four brakes, and again, and again, no air at all. Now it is worst that ever, car is not drivable.

If the rubber lines were shot I guess it will still be drivable

I'm totaly lost.
boosted_bullet

Re: No brakes

Post by boosted_bullet »

i also have this problome :( but i have not yet checked it out (swaping for my kl :D ) my e-brake stops me some-what but not much
im about to do a rear disk swap (yes i have a 4cyl) im thinking maybe a leak but i cant see from where....my brake fluid is low i think im ugradingto steel braided lines soon

any info is appricated
chicks dig the rice!

-bullet
halfblackaaron

Post by halfblackaaron »

I once had a problem similar to this with my chevy blazer. it had 4 wheel disc brakes and everything went to crap. even after replaces pads and the master cylinder and bleeding I still got zero stopping power.

come to find out. I had let my rear calipers get so bad that they had locked up. so everytime I pushed the brake pedal air rushed into my lines. so I bought two vice grips and pinched off circulation to the rear calipers. bled the front brakes and I was on my way.

it works enough to get you by until you get the money to replace the actual calipers. so that may be your problem. maybe not.. but its worth having looked into. before you spend too much money replacing stuff that has nothing to do with your problem.
1993 mx-3 GS nothin fancy just bought for 400 bucks and Im already lovin it!
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

Though some people may disagree(I argue with coworkers about this all the time), you can try pinching off each brake HOSE with a vise grip or hose pinch off tool. The 2 fronts and i'm not sure if it has 1 or 2 in the rear. With these pinched the pedal should be hard as a rock. If it still goes down than you either still have master cylinder issues or there is in fact a busted line. If it is hard and doesn't drop have a buddy take the pinch off one hose at a time starting at the rear. When the culprit is removed your pedal will go to the floor like it has been. This will tell you where you have air or a hydraulic malfunction like a collapsed hose or bad caliper. Please note also that when doing this test you may damage your hoses(which is why I argue about this method all the time). Only pinch the hoses enough that you will stop thier flow, not crush the hell outta them. Hope this helps.
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
boosted_bullet

Post by boosted_bullet »

thx a bunch. sounds helpfull.
ill try this when i attempt my rear disc conversion... :mrgreen:
chicks dig the rice!

-bullet
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

you have plenty of pad and rotor life up front? the shoes and drums are not worn out to nothing?
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”