Dirty Oil and Cleaning the Engine

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
*Y*

Dirty Oil and Cleaning the Engine

Post by *Y* »

I noticed that my oil is really dirty even with really frequent changes. Just yesterday I changed the oil because it all drained out because of an oil pressure switch leak. I then saw the leak, fixed it and changed the oil again. Well to my surprise the oil was really dark. I was really amazed. So I was wondering is there maybe a way to clean the inside of the engine. Do those liquid engine flush things actually work as advertised? Has anyone had any experience dealing with something like that? What about this http://www.auto-rx.com/?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

There are a couple of reasons why engine oil gets dirty fast. The most common reason is worn oil control rings. Even if you clean out your engine, your oil will still darken faster than normal if your oil control rings are worn. Another reason is of course sludgy build up inside your engine.. usually caused by running oil with a perafin wax additive such as Penzoil or Quaker State. Their "Liquid Ball Bearing" Technology which has been in use a lot longer than their commercials would lead you to believe. When carbon gets by the rings.. it mixes with the wax and presto.. you have sludge. There are other kinds and it happens with other oils as well.. those are just the worst from what I have heard over the years. Keeping your air filter clean will also help prevent contaminants from getting into your engine.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”