1.8 V6 Cylinder Head

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdags94

1.8 V6 Cylinder Head

Post by mazdags94 »

I am considering buying a resurfaced cylinder head with new valve seals for my 94 GS. This may sound dumb (I dont have any experience on the 1.8L internals so bare with me) but are there TWO cylinder heads as it is a DOHC (a right and a left)? The pic of the resurfaced one with the valve job done shows 2 cams which would lead me to believe that there is only one but I saw some other pics of there being two (right/left) like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-96-Ma ... enameZWDVW

Could someone help me out on this one?
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Up for auction is one cylinder head. It will fit any 92-96 MX3 V6 on the left side.
Also, I dont see but 1 picture, and I can barley see 1 cam gear. The auction says nothing abotu being resurfaced nor new seals..

I think you linked the wrong auction.
Last edited by Custommx3 on August 28th, 2007, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

DOHC stands for dual over head cams. The motor is a v6 so yes there are two heads. One for each bank of cylinders on the motor.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm I would suggest going there are reading up.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

On a V configuration motor dual cam means, dual cam per head. Meaning that on a V configured motor you'll acutally have 4 cams since there are two per side. I would double check that auction like Barry said. If it has been resurfaced or the seals replaced I don't see anything about that.
On a side note if you need a second head I have a brand new from Mazda, rear K8 head. I bought it with a ton of other MX-3 parts from a local salvage place. I do not know how they got a brand new Mazda head, but it is new and the tags all showed Mazda as the supplier. I cannot really use it since I have a ZE. I'll sell it for 75 plus shipping if interested.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Sorry about that, I was unclear in my description. the link I posted before was one that showed a single side, that person has an auction for the a second (other side). This link shows the resurfaced: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-MAZ ... enameZWDVW

PATDIESEL- I would be interested in that cylinder head... you said brand new so will I have to use my current cams? I would imagine that the head would have new springs and seals attached as well. How much to ship to 14075? I would also be interested in a second if anyone had one as it would be too expensive to rebuild what I have I think... I could be wrong though.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

I also did find a great source that breaks down the block to replace cylinder heads, gaskets, and such... if anyone else is having difficulty like I am, check this out: http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/09 ... oPages.htm

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”