Blew Another (YET ANOTHER TRANNY!!!!) (4TH 1) Tranny (pics)

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
e2blade

Blew Another (YET ANOTHER TRANNY!!!!) (4TH 1) Tranny (pics)

Post by e2blade »

I'm On my 3rd tranny
and this 1

im going to get a lsd so i can stop breaking spyder gears!

[Admin:Watch the languge]
Last edited by e2blade on August 17th, 2007, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave0r

Post by dave0r »

nice work

ive been through 4 G series gearbox's in 3 years

and not once have i broken a diff!!!
i seem to strip 3rd and damage the selector forks

the poor spider gears, Stop wheel spining

:twisted:
SOLD 1991 Mazda Astina GT, BPT,161 WkW @ 9psi, & 102wkw N/A built motor with LSD
1996 ST205 Toyota Celica GT4, big brakes, massive power
worked KL-ZE 220whp in the build, possibly for a 323 or MX3/Eunos
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

lucky you i been through 3 G-series trans in the past 6 months

1 mazda, shattered the diff

2 Kia exploded one diff 2nd one is working fine so far..

gotta love that boost..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
e2blade

Post by e2blade »

O MY f---ing GOD

you'll never guess
i
I BLEW ANOTHER 1!!!!!

im on my 4th tranny!!!!!!

PLEASE some 1 help me

trust me its not my swap

i dont know if its my luck or something

its always the diff!!!

AND NO I DONT PEEL OUT

and its not my clutch fork

and my 3rd tranny lasted exactly 16.6 miles

and my 2nd lasted 3 days

and its always when i shift gears

the 2nd blew when i went to 2nd

and the 3rd blew when i went to 5th

jesus

i didnt know that 130 hp could pwn these pieces of s---
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

well stop using the f-series trans and upgrade to the g-seires trans..

don't tell me ur on a g-series cause ur last tranny pic is a f-series..

ur not the only one i grenaded my diff with my all motor oem BP using a f-series trans off the line at the drag stripp.

yeah that was fun.. i got it uip and running later on that night 2am..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
e2blade

Post by e2blade »

the bopth were g series

the pics are of my f series

the 1 when i bought the car

i just wanted to show what happen to them

but thats what happening to the others
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I don't see how a tranny would blow so fast, unless there's something wrong with your car. Are your axles slipping or something? Is that even possible?
e2blade

Post by e2blade »

ok if axles slipped

that means that ur splines would been shot

mine are brand new

ive also heard

"what if they are the wrong cv axles completely"

well retard

if they were they wouldnt fit the tranny and the exact measurement of the mx3

so can some1 troubleshoot this or not
bdr2k5

Post by bdr2k5 »

get a T56 :lol:
fromtornashes

Post by fromtornashes »

ouch
RIP Matt
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

What clutch are you using? There was a kid about 10 years that was breaking trannies monthy with a stock SOHC after changing his clutch. He installed a 4 puck clutch and as it turned out the clutch would engage so abruptly that it would sent a hammering shock through the whole driveline eventually breaking gears. Another possibility is the throw out bearing. The OE replacement bearing have a lot of run out so as the pressure plate engages it chatters again sending a series of shocked through the geartrain. With a stock clutch there is usually enough slip to pad this effect but if you have a aftermarket clutch that will hold more torque that that engine can product the clutch will engage with a bang and crunch the gears in the process. The other this to be awere of is that down shift and even natural decelleration when the clutch disengages send a reverse shock through the tranny in the opposite driection. If these to shock wave meet at the right time inside the gearbox this could mean mechanical failure.
ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

I just took out the 3rd tranny in a year all were jspec lsd trannies. I'm getting sick of it and its expensive.
93 MX3 GS SE KLZE -- RIP May 1, 2011
14.007 @ 98.46 1.991 60ft -- the only time she made it to the 1/4 :(

92 MX3 GS aka Goldmember - I'm trying to keep the legend going and as always credit to Andy for starting the legend ;)
sc61 currently @ 8 psi, wiseco 10:1 pistons, K1 rods, ported ze heads w/ kl31 cams
kab-rst

Post by kab-rst »

i have a g series for 3-4years boosting at 15psi daily and never exploded anything....it actually freaks me out....
96 rs-t mx-3, 12.62@114
u have the Zoom Zoom feeling?
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

ruthless_mx3 wrote:I just took out the 3rd tranny in a year all were jspec lsd trannies. I'm getting sick of it and its expensive.
Are you you trying to do burn out? Do you getting a lot of wheel spin? Is the diameter of one tire slightly larger than the other? If yes to any or all of these question, these are all major main causes "clutch type" LSD tranny failures. These are the first thing you are taught not to do in racing school. The LSD doesn't make the transmission any stronger. The opposite is actually true. They actually increase the internal stress levels in the rotating assy. The main advantage with a LSD is that you can go deeper into a turn under power and get on it sooner after the apex because you are able to transfer power evenly to outside wheel which has a longer distance to travel. The other area were a LSD shines is were the rolling traction is unequal from side to side modulating a percentage of the torque to the wheel that has traction. In 14 years I only gone through 2 trannys. One was due to a defect in the design of the Centerforce DF clutches. When it blew up it took out the input shaft and the second we when I lent the car to a friend that was ham fisted shifting gears an the 3rd gear syncro popped.
ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

Yoda wrote:
ruthless_mx3 wrote:I just took out the 3rd tranny in a year all were jspec lsd trannies. I'm getting sick of it and its expensive.
Are you you trying to do burn out? Do you getting a lot of wheel spin? Is the diameter of one tire slightly larger than the other? If yes to any or all of these question, these are all major main causes "clutch type" LSD tranny failures. These are the first thing you are taught not to do in racing school. The LSD doesn't make the transmission any stronger. The opposite is actually true. They actually increase the internal stress levels in the rotating assy. The main advantage with a LSD is that you can go deeper into a turn under power and get on it sooner after the apex because you are able to transfer power evenly to outside wheel which has a longer distance to travel. The other area were a LSD shines is were the rolling traction is unequal from side to side modulating a percentage of the torque to the wheel that has traction. In 14 years I only gone through 2 trannys. One was due to a defect in the design of the Centerforce DF clutches. When it blew up it took out the input shaft and the second we when I lent the car to a friend that was ham fisted shifting gears an the 3rd gear syncro popped.
Not really much wheelspin, hence the 1.99 60ft. Tires are deffinitly the same size. Here is the key to the problem: I drive it like i stole it!
Pretty sure the latter of them explains it all.
A year ago the diff bearings went out and I had to drive it with them bad for bout a month. Since that time there has been a slight squeak when I take off. Its just a quick squeak and only does it from a standstill. I've always wondered if it was something wrong with the diff.
3rd gear went out from doing 70mph tire barks.
Bearings went out right away in the begining so they were already bad.
93 MX3 GS SE KLZE -- RIP May 1, 2011
14.007 @ 98.46 1.991 60ft -- the only time she made it to the 1/4 :(

92 MX3 GS aka Goldmember - I'm trying to keep the legend going and as always credit to Andy for starting the legend ;)
sc61 currently @ 8 psi, wiseco 10:1 pistons, K1 rods, ported ze heads w/ kl31 cams

Return to “Transmissions”