Broke yet another trans

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Limegreen mx-3

Broke yet another trans

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

like it says blow a hole where the diff is near the speedo gear.

I could see the diff spining. just my luck and i wasn't even hauling a--.

oh well thank god for junkyard warranty LOL and i don't have to pay for labor since i could do it all myself.

trans lasted for 24 days installed 7-107 broke down 7-25-07.

and the say the kia was stronger trans.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Thats unfortunate LG. Sorry that had to happen. Have any pics?
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

no not untill i take it off.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

so there u go and they say the kia trans is stronger now ya know. lasted 24 days and i didn't even get to have fun on it.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

93_MX3 GS

Post by 93_MX3 GS »

:shock: , wats next another kia trans? i bet you can prolly change it with your eyes closed bye now !.. hehe :)
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

well thats what im doinmg if i can't find another kia trans than i got to go back to a mazda trans which i have the exles for anyway. just works in the way.
dave0r

Post by dave0r »

y0, just looking at your G-box damage

why diss the "super strong Kia Gearbox" when its not the problem ?

you are only as strong as your weakest link... and this case its the open DIFF, stupid spider gears and diff pin!

fix the diff with like MSP/V-LSD etc..then 3rd strips, fix 3rd then the 4th goes etc etc its on going, all G series box's do it

the box's are fine if you treat them well enough
, i run the Jap spec version of the Kia box,from a BA lantis and had it for over 1.5years with the Open diff,,, been drag'n it , track day etc, so far so good :)

but i upgraded to a LSD diff now. so i dont have to worry about the diff pin distroying the box

good luck with a new box :)
SOLD 1991 Mazda Astina GT, BPT,161 WkW @ 9psi, & 102wkw N/A built motor with LSD
1996 ST205 Toyota Celica GT4, big brakes, massive power
worked KL-ZE 220whp in the build, possibly for a 323 or MX3/Eunos
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

well i got another kia trans so i hope it will last a little longer LOL.

but as far as trans go i rather be breaking tranny's than engines.

I know a OEM trans has is limits it is the weak link in my setup all the money i spent on my turbo setup i have left the BP in stock form along with my suspenision and my drive train expect for the clutch only thing i upgraded.

I went all out on my turbo setup i can make the power if i want too i just wouldn't be able to have fun with it.

down the road i have the intentsions to buy a twin disc clutch quife lsd and stage 5 race axles in all another $5000 in just parts for my drivetrain. then i still have my suspension to worry about.

cost money but for now i got to make do what what i got and keep it a street car untill it will be ready for a ball to the wall 10sec mx-3 trailer queen.

by the end of the day today she will be back on the streets i hope.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

The Mazdaspeed LSD isn't going to cut it. Last trip to the track I had the following:

-Mazdaspeed LSD
-V6 MX-3 driver side axle
-custom center axle bar w/ larger than Pro-LX outer axle
-92 Pro-LX gear box
-Clutchnet dual diaphram pressure plate
-Clutchnet sprung hub 3-puck clutch disk
-Lucas 80w90 gear oil with one bottle of Lucas trans fix

I went to tune the car the weekend before the Virginia NHRA Sport Compact race. In about 30 feet I twised 3 sets of axle slines about 30 degrees, sheared the custom (told I'd never break it) center bar complete in half on one end while it twisted ths splines on both ends, and blew apart the Mazdaspeed LSD while twisting the inner slines of the MX-3 V6 axle just like the custom center axle's. Had the custom shaft not broke I think the Mazdaspeed LSD would have held up...the part that really sucks is that it isn't rebuildible. Call Derrick Ambrose at Corksport and get the Kaaz LSD. We are currently looking into a few other options as well. For axles go to Moore Performance and get there Nitro Drive Line axles....about 2G's but they hold up to about any thing you can throw at them! I'm considering doing so custom designing for the diff that will enable the use of larger inboard stub shafts...something like the Turbo II RX's :wink: I know the Turbo II's axles with upgraded 300m center bars will hold 800HP all day long and makes a GREAT design starting point.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

JWMotorsports wrote:I went to tune the car the weekend before the Virginia NHRA Sport Compact race.
Just a off-topic Q, is that something that's coming up later this year, or was that the show and race event that happened at VIR a few month ago?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

The VIR show & race that happened a few months ago.

Took a couple months for the company that made the axle to say they wouldn't cover any of it...even when their "unbreakable" axle broke before I broke the other axles.....now I'm out about about $1500 and that company just lost all my business and probably Corksports business as well. I wish I could take that broken axle out there and shove it up that "Engineer's" a$$ cuz it was a piss poor attempt with many oversights!
They didn't roll the splines, made then about 1/4 longer than the mating piece's splines and made the O.D. of the axle close to the O.D. of the splines...BIG no no's! The material they choose was only 1541 steel case hardened to around a 52 Rc. That axle should have really been made out of 4340 chromemoly or better yet 300m with special heat treatment that would put it's tensil strenght upwards of 320,000psi.

I find myself continually going back to the saying " if you want something done right, do it yourself " ... and "people suck"...not all people but a lot!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

shyt i be pissed off 2 LOL.

well tranny in but i got lazy so i'l finish up 2morrow.

for the axles i would probly go with driveshopaxles
some where along these terms

some company that ric knows or has done bizzness with.

kazzs u say in have installed on in a miata before it was nice. so they make one for a FWD mazda huh. tell me moree.

if i go for a twin disc i probly use a tilton clutch a miata one will work on the FWD.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

she up and running.
e2blade

Post by e2blade »

Im on my 3rd tranny :D

Mazda tranny's FTMFW

Return to “Transmissions”