side mount intercooler piping

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
PWRD_BY_HKS

side mount intercooler piping

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

Okay I'm confused. I was thinking about buying some heavy duty rubber hose and making my own piping out of that. If I do that where do I put my blow off valve. The reason why I am not buying steel piping is because I don't need too much. Suggestions! Help me out please!
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Buy steel piping and don't be a wuss. :roll:
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

once this guy came to the shop TRP. he had a MR2 turbo the slick looking one.

he had a truck mounted intercooler and most of his intercooler piping out of the good stuff reinforced rubber hose.

with that setup sadly he was making 97whp@12psi. where he was making about 200whp on his factory setup.

u would wonder why. LOL

to each his own, do what u want to do.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
n2ogsze

Post by n2ogsze »

If you really want 'rubber' intercooler piping, you will want to go with silicone radiator hose. The only problem is, it will cost you way more than steel piping would. Here is just a sample of what prices are on that stuff:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... US206US206

Just scroll down and you will see examples of silicione radiator hose prices. No bueno.
T61 powered KLZE
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Good to see you started working on it :D let me know when u are done. Im sorta waiting for you and on my parts :) Il also be using a side mount intercooler.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

someone tell me the benefit of using a side mount intercooler? I just dont see how the air is going to be cooled by using a side mount in an area that doesnt really get that much actual airflow, the reason people put there CAI there is because of the fact the metal blocks the heat from the engine. But i dont see how using a side mount is going to help in anyway rather than just running without a intercooler there still very little airflow there. you can get FMIC where the Inlet and outlet are on the same side. This would be a better choice than running a side mount, and you'll use just about the same amount of piping as you would with the side mount.

Using rubber hosing with a klze setup is RETARDED. Seriously though thats just dumb, theres a reason everyone with rubber hoses swap to pipe. Especially when i see kits online that you could easily modify to fit your setup, cold pipes for from anywhere from 75-200 on ebay, why not just buy the pipes and do it right the 1st time. can you justify saving a few dollars while hurting your performance?

this kit would almost work
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Intercoo ... enameZWDVW
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

See that right there is the shiznit. But even then where does the blow off valve goes none of those pipes have the opening for it.
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

u cut into the pipe and weld the bov in... ur done
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

yea you could probably get a muffler shop to do it for next to nothing, 25-50 max
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

Good job I knew you guys were smart like that. Thanks fellas that's what ill end up doing. Instead of buying the racing clutch ill chill out on that Idea and get front mount intercooler
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

get fmic and hard pipes take the hard pipe to a muffler shop or some place that does nice tig welding and weld the BOV on it
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

The side mount method can work and so can rubber IC pipes...are they the best?....Hell no!.....does it work....yup.

A few years ago we had a NA BP MX-3 and decided to use my brothers car's stock parts and lil Mitsu 16g turbo for a sleeper from hell. We fabed a whole kit using the OEM dsm parts...side mount IC...rubber hoses...bypass valve n all to make a nasty sleeper! It even looked like a peice of crap when you popped the hood...we did it that way on purpose. At 7psi it dynoed 190+WHP and almost 210 ft/lb of torque with one REALLY fat power band using the dsm parts, lil 16G, 440 injectors, BP ECU, S-AFC. Of coarse to make the side mount flow we cut the front of the fender well out so air could pass through the front of the car and exit through the fender. We painted the back side of the IC black so you couldn't see it unless you really looked for it. It ran 9.0" all night long in the 1/8th mile frying tires. Would have easily went 12's in the 1/4 mile. For pics visit my car domain page and click on my friend's link. The car is all black with stock black steel wheels...funny...ugly...and really made an @$$ out of a LOT of cars (Vetts, Cobras, STI's, etc...)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/pr ... less+Steel

also check out this page:
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/vi ... inum+Pipes
problem solved you don't have to have anything welded for the bov, they already make pipes with the adapters welded in :) clean welds and a decent price.

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

DUDE.. this is GOLD RIGHT HERE! thanks :D
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “Forced Induction”