Installed AWR racing polyurethane front engine mount.. wow!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nightfire

Installed AWR racing polyurethane front engine mount.. wow!

Post by nightfire »

I just installed my new polyurethane engine mount and what an insane difference (coming from my mazdaspeed mounts).

It's only the front mount (attached to the crossmember), but it completely changes the character of the car. The engine's vibration is fairly noticible (which you may or may not like... I love it) and when you hit 4000-5000rpm it sounds furious. :twisted:

Acceleration and engine braking is much smoother with virtually no bucking in any gear except 1st (which is much improved but not perfect). Everything seems much more intentional, eliminating the need to ease in and out of throttle positions.

And did I mention the sound? :D

I did have a little trouble installing it as it doesn't bolt right up on the K8 (maybe the klze?). It's too narrow, so I padded it with washers to reach the engine mount bracket. Took a couple tries to position it correctly. I also had to use a bigger bolt (1/2" iirc), which meant drilling out the bracket as well. Total install time was about an hour.

But all in all, a highly recommended upgrade.
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Seems they have for the Mx-3 aswell:

http://www.awrracing.com/store/product_ ... cts_id=312

[img]http://www.awrracing.com/store/contents ... 3MOUNT.JPG&[/img]

Mazda mx3 V-6 Front engine mount. Fabricated steel body with polyurethane bushings, gold zinc plated. Front mount only.

about $70 USD.

Just too bad it`s about $90 USD in shipping to Norway, since they use UPS :(

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

nope-mx3 wrote:Seems they have for the Mx-3 aswell:

Mazda mx3 V-6 Front engine mount. Fabricated steel body with polyurethane bushings, gold zinc plated. Front mount only.

about $70 USD.

-n
That's actually the one I ordered. It's the right height, but it's about 1.5cm too narrow for the stock K series engine bracket. I wonder if they realize..

Oh, and it was the same thing for me shipping to Canada. But I called them and they hooked me up with a local reseller... maybe there's one in Europe.
- Gord
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

nightfire wrote:

about $70 USD.

-n
That's actually the one I ordered. It's the right height, but it's about 1.5cm too narrow for the stock K series engine bracket. I wonder if they realize..

Oh, and it was the same thing for me shipping to Canada. But I called them and they hooked me up with a local reseller... maybe there's one in Europe.
What local retailer was that? I want to get one of these but I am in the same boat as you..
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

How can sound be affected by motor mounts.

and also fill your rear mount solid or something and then that will be the most difference!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

mx3autozam wrote:How can sound be affected by motor mounts.
x1
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Sound... can be affected by motor mounts.

The thud of the engine slamming against the solid mount while shifting.

or

The soundwaves of the vibration of the motor no longer have a soft rubber mount to travel through and dampen the sound. So they are directly linked to the chassis now and will amplify the sound the motor makes.

Sounds are vibrations and wavelengths.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

solo_ryder wrote:
nightfire wrote:

about $70 USD.

-n

What local retailer was that? I want to get one of these but I am in the same boat as you..
Shoot.. I don't have it anymore. I called AWR racing and they gave me the number of the reseller in Quebec. I should have written it down...
atlantamx3 wrote:Sound... can be affected by motor mounts.

The thud of the engine slamming against the solid mount while shifting.

or

The soundwaves of the vibration of the motor no longer have a soft rubber mount to travel through and dampen the sound. So they are directly linked to the chassis now and will amplify the sound the motor makes.

Sounds are vibrations and wavelengths.
Exactly. The vibrations of the engine are no longer absorbed and dissipated as heat in the rubber mounts; instead they are transmitted to the crossmember and frame which vibrate. Ahem... like you said. :)

In fact the whole car vibrates at 600-700rpm and 4000-6000rpm. It rules. :twisted:
- Gord
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Isn't the whole point of using engine mounts is to absorb engine vibration, instead of amplifying it and sending it through the whole car, putting extra stress on the frame and crossmember? May seem like a fun thing to do, but I don't think it's good for the car or the engine for that matter.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Whisper wrote:Isn't the whole point of using engine mounts is to absorb engine vibration, instead of amplifying it and sending it through the whole car, putting extra stress on the frame and crossmember? May seem like a fun thing to do, but I don't think it's good for the car or the engine for that matter.
Racecars actually bolt the engine directly to the chassis, to get maximum amount of power to the ground.
Soft bushings steals some of the power.

-n
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

it helps the motor the drivetrain and other aspects. the vibration is just a small inconvenience. it lessens wheel hop, enginge stability, and no enginge torque load on the engine to possibly hurt other mounts from the extra rubber flex. it is all around better for the car other then a little more vibration and noise. which any performance enthusiest would gladly trade comfort and practicality for performance gain and overall vehicle stablity and less stress on motor parts through harsh motions such as worn motor mounts can cause.
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

I went with the Probe front motor mount from AWR for my MX-3 as well as my brothers. They are allot beefier and use bigger bolts 1/2" as opposed to the 3/8" on OEM MX-3 ones.

I am currently working with AWR to have them produce a solid Rear motor mount for our cars. So i am looking forward to that. Motor should be stout with a solid front and rear one like my MX-6 was. :lol:
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Slammed6 wrote:I went with the Probe front motor mount from AWR for my MX-3 as well as my brothers. They are allot beefier and use bigger bolts 1/2" as opposed to the 3/8" on OEM MX-3 ones.

I am currently working with AWR to have them produce a solid Rear motor mount for our cars. So i am looking forward to that. Motor should be stout with a solid front and rear one like my MX-6 was. :lol:
Let us know when that happens :)
Also, if possible, do some pictures and install howto :)
I`m definetely getting both.

-nope
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

nope-mx3 wrote:
Racecars actually bolt the engine directly to the chassis, to get maximum amount of power to the ground.
Soft bushings steals some of the power.

-n
Well, race cars have roll cages and all sorts of reinforcements to keep the car body stiff. And they're not very comfortable for daily driving...

If stiff motor mounts are such a benefit, why do car manufacturers put in soft ones? I'm assuming it's to isolate the engine vibration from the rest of the car? Because vibration usually isn't good and makes things loosen and fall apart, and generally not last as long, right? I'm sure it offers some marginal increase in power transfer to the wheels, and reduces wheel hop with higher powered engines, but wouldn't that come at the price of abusing the rest of your car? I don't know for sure, but seems that way...
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Nope-mx3 -- Well there is no real how to....just remove old ones and install the new ones. If you mean for the Probe mount, its a direct drop in but the holes on your crossmember need to be opened from the original 3/8" to 1/2" and that can be done in 2 secs with a drill motor. You don't even have to remove it.

Whisper -- There is a medium point for comfortability and performance. Engine mounts are a big way to add comfortability, less engine vibration and that means quieter cabin noises. If you notice the more performance cars u buy the more u will notice engine vibration cause stronger mounts will add performance. If your motor is vibrating THAT much to cause things to fall off your car something needs to be checked out, I have had solid mounts in my cars and with a proper running engine the cars is barely vibrating...hardly noticable. Just feels 10x more solid.

Think of it the same as your springs for your car. OEM is soft and has alot of play to make the ride more comfortable. As you upgrade in cars performance you can feel a stiffer ride. Even though this cause more "vibration" through the frame is is not bad...just uncomfortable for the average person, unless your looking for the stiffer performance orientated ride.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”