Front sway bar bushing replacement

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
nightfire

Front sway bar bushing replacement

Post by nightfire »

How much work is it? Is it possible to access the brackets/bushings without dropping the crossmember and a bunch of other stuff? It's hard to tell from the shop manual.

Anyone make polyurethane bushings still?
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Yes I believe Mazdaspeed has front busings for them. Look on Corksport.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

mx3autozam wrote:Yes I believe Mazdaspeed has front busings for them. Look on Corksport.
I could only find control arm bushing kits there. Hrmm.

I might just grab a set of OE replacements and brackets and see if I can fill them myself.
- Gord
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I think I saw some posts about modifying some Energy Suspension poly bushes to fit.

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

You have to drop the crossmember and such. It's a quite a bit of work. You can kind of reach the bushings from inside the wheel well but I doubt it's possible to swap them out that way.

I got the 22mm Energy Suspension bushings. These ones, I think:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/pr ... rod=9.5126

They're a little bigger on the outer diameter, but I'm not sure how much bracket modification was required, because I had the shop put them in. The guys didn't mention any complications when installing, so I'm assuming it's not too bad. Upon inspecting the result, at least from what I can see, it looks like the stock brackets are on there and are just kind of squeezing the bushings to fit around them.

So it's doable, if you have to do it. It's just a matter of how worn yours are. Mine were in a pretty bad shape, so the new ones made a difference.
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Whisper wrote:You have to drop the crossmember and such. It's a quite a bit of work. You can kind of reach the bushings from inside the wheel well but I doubt it's possible to swap them out that way.

I got the 22mm Energy Suspension bushings. These ones, I think:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/pr ... rod=9.5126

They're a little bigger on the outer diameter, but I'm not sure how much bracket modification was required, because I had the shop put them in. The guys didn't mention any complications when installing, so I'm assuming it's not too bad. Upon inspecting the result, at least from what I can see, it looks like the stock brackets are on there and are just kind of squeezing the bushings to fit around them.

So it's doable, if you have to do it. It's just a matter of how worn yours are. Mine were in a pretty bad shape, so the new ones made a difference.
Nice. I just ordered a set. I'll wait till I do my engine swap to install them.

Thanks everyone.
- Gord
luisitol

Post by luisitol »

what size is the stock front swaybar?
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I'm not sure if it varies based on year and trim, but it should be 22mm on the GS (and rear should be 20 mm).

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”