clutch

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
94mx3precidia

clutch

Post by 94mx3precidia »

hey, I need to change my clutch, i recently just got the car and i want to know how difficult it is befroe i dive into anything. Are there any good sites with explenations? I also have to change the drive shafts on the front wheels. Are these difficult to change as well?

Thanks A lot.
wvurubberducky

Re: clutch

Post by wvurubberducky »

94mx3precidia wrote:hey, I need to change my clutch, i recently just got the car and i want to know how difficult it is befroe i dive into anything. Are there any good sites with explenations? I also have to change the drive shafts on the front wheels. Are these difficult to change as well?

Thanks A lot.
I have been around the garage for a few years and can do some mechanic work, my clutch was changed about 2 years ago with the help of a professional mechanic while using his lift. We had to drop the sub frame and then disconnect the trans, axles, and a few other things ( i am not sure on everything). over all i would say it would take at least 5 hours or more knowing what you are doing and having all the tools. Our cars do not have drive shafts on the front wheels, they are called axles. I'm sure more guys on here will reply and enlighten you on the difficulty of this but i am just trying to give you my opinion. It is not an easy job, i would or would not recommend trying it depending on your knowledge.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ok thanks for the help, if anyone else knows anything about replacing clutches please leve a reply.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

i changed mine in my car with 2 jacks and just me doing the work wasnt too hard. one under the engine to keep it supported, the other to lower the tranny out from below the car. took the clutch off, put the new one on. got the clutch kit from on ebay. i think $115 with shipping, put it back on got the flywheel resurfaced. lifted the tranny back up and bam there you go.

the hard part with using a jack and not a hoist which is much easier matching up the input shaft and the clutch assembly. its possible just not very fun haha
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

thanks, well my clutch is so worn to the poin where the car no longer moves. it might just be the rotors cuz they are ruted to hell from the car sitting for too long. i dont have a lift at my house but my neibour accross the street has one. is it impossible to change the clutch just on your driveway? i think it will make it so much harder, considering you will belying down and lowering parts will be difficult.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I replaced my clutch (with no experience) in a carport using a couple of jacks and a 4 wheeler jack for the tranny (nice and wide)... good luck! you will learn ALOT about your car!
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

Mooneggs wrote:I replaced my clutch (with no experience) in a carport using a couple of jacks and a 4 wheeler jack for the tranny (nice and wide)... good luck! you will learn ALOT about your car!
how long did it take you? and did you have a manual?
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

yes I have a complete manual now but at the time I was using the online shop manual (I don't have a link)... I had another car to drive so I took my time... I worked on it for about 2 weeks. I know that's a long time but I was working a full time job and fitting it in when I had the time and plus I had no idea what I was doing. :oops:

I also had a few setbacks... I had to wait for a new fidanza flywheel surface to arrive and when i was putting the tranny back on somehow I broke off a stud in the tranny so I had to have that removed...

I was using all hand tools also and working by myself the whole time. If you had someone to help you I think you could get it done in a day or two if you had all the parts already.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ya ill get the parts and attempt it soon in the near future. Whats first on my list are the front transaxels and rotors, ive got those parts though so i dont have to wait for them to come in. Have you ever changed transaxels on a car before? what do you have to remove to get at them and take them out?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”