V6 OBD-II Swaps - Need Information

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Pirate317

V6 OBD-II Swaps - Need Information

Post by Pirate317 »

I'd like any information from people who have done a swap with an OBD-II Mx-3, be it the KLZE or KLDE.

I'd like to replace my K8 but my car is a 96 OBD-II and from what i've gathered here on the forums OBD-II is a pain in the A$$. Does anyone here own an OBD-II model that can shed some insight for me? Im not looking into major rewiring preferably just straight swaps, i'd be happy with a domestic KLDE but will the mx-3 wiring accept a DE with an associated ECU properly? Thanks for any help.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I think the only for sure way would be to Find a car with the ECU, Engine, and Harness and swap everything over. I wiring harness is an easy swap with the engine out.
Pirate317

Post by Pirate317 »

Are you suggesting that I retrofit an OBD-II with OBD-I wiring? Wouldn't I basically have to rewire the entire car for that? Never really completely pulled the car apart but would the wiring from the ECU to the engine just need to be done or is all the wiring in the dash (instrument panel, underdash etc..) all one configuration?
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Do you have the obd2 connector inside the cabin? Does it say anything about obd2 compliance on any of the labels (door pillars, under hood etc) - just make sure that you actually have obd2 before going through all the hassle.

The engine harness is seperate from the dash harness - but the engine harness has two or three connectors that will plug into the dash harness. If you are extremely lucky the obd1 harness will still plug into your dash harness and be compatible.

But, more than likely the wiring is different and incompatible - so you have to either rewire the connectors or replace the dash harness as well..

There are a few OBD2 KLDE s available from late model 626 - that "may" be a viable and easier option than anything else.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Pirate317

Post by Pirate317 »

It's absolutely OBD-II, I looked under the dash on the passenger side, closest to the center console and there it was showing it's ugly face. I discovered this when I tried to pull a code with the old TEN - GND trick and nothing happened. The diagnostic box is still there but it's OBD-II. I would love to be able to swap in a OBD-II KLDE because then I could still pass the E-test without any problems (apparently reverting to OBD-I will cause you to fail the e-test according to some people on probetalk, not sure what it is in Ontario but im sure they are nazis about it).
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

lol reverting to an obd 1, like mostly everyone on the formus has an obd powered mx3 and pass emmision testing no problem. You just need to swap the wiring harness and computer, then carry out the standard procedure for doing an engine swap.

-Ryan
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
Pirate317

Post by Pirate317 »

But If I revert to OBD-I, doesn't the ministry realise that a 96' should be OBD-II and just fail me instantly? I read that in states like NY they actually hook the OBD-II port up to the internet and it's fed directly to the head office..... if I bring in a 96 that should be OBD-II compliant (probably a note on the VIN perhaps?). It would be easy enough to swap the wiring harnesses and remove the obd port and throw it in a volcano, but what if the mechanic is like "hey where's the OBD-II port it should be here?" and im like "well it's obd-I mawfugga" and hes like "No the gov says it's obd-II so guess what buds, guess that engine swap was a waste of cash". Seems like a revert would be easy enough but Im just worried about insta-fail.

Is there anyone here who is partial to e-test regulations that can tell me if reverting to OBD-I would cause a problem?
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

http://www.driveclean.com/

The best bet is to call them and ask for info i guess.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

i dont really see that happening, there has to be away around the system. But yah true dat to just calling the drive clean people
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Pirate317 wrote:But If I revert to OBD-I, doesn't the ministry realise that a 96' should be OBD-II and just fail me instantly? I read that in states like NY they actually hook the OBD-II port up to the internet and it's fed directly to the head office..... if I bring in a 96 that should be OBD-II compliant (probably a note on the VIN perhaps?). It would be easy enough to swap the wiring harnesses and remove the obd port and throw it in a volcano, but what if the mechanic is like "hey where's the OBD-II port it should be here?" and im like "well it's obd-I mawfugga" and hes like "No the gov says it's obd-II so guess what buds, guess that engine swap was a waste of cash". Seems like a revert would be easy enough but Im just worried about insta-fail.

Is there anyone here who is partial to e-test regulations that can tell me if reverting to OBD-I would cause a problem?

Steve "Tekguy" converted his car from ODBII to ODBI back in the late 90's before the Ont. government closed the loop hole in the law that allowed his car to pass. Even then he had problems passing a visual inspection the first couple of times. BTW the pin out between the OBDI and OBDII engine harness when it connects to the chassis harness. I remember scanning and email wiring schematic for a '93 so he could match the harness to a '96.
Pirate317

Post by Pirate317 »

Well I emailed the DriveClean people and found out that if your engine differs from that of factory specifications and is made before 1999, and you can prove it (ie: different size engine) you qualify for "Hot Rod" status and your engine is held to 1980's standards. The million dollar question though is would an insurance company find out about it somehow and deny/raise coverage?

As for converting to OBD I, seems doable if I pull the engine and just swap wiring harnesses. I plan to replace at least the dash harness, engine harness, ECU, and then if the rest isn't PnP I guess im going to be looking at wiring diagrams for awhile.
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Do you have OBDII wiring diagrams for the 96?

If so can you send me a copy?
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

hey is it in a box that sayd diagnostic under the dash or no ? can you send a pic of what it looks like ? i have a 96 but it has diagnostic box in the engine bay ..i think im in the same boat as you... but can you send me a pic of what it looks liek or discribe it ...
Diana
antispam: No

Re: V6 OBD-II Swaps - Need Information

Post by Diana »

This is a cool Article!!!I like it very much.
Hello, everyone, My name is Diana from China.I am Newbie to be here. I am enjoying to know all kinds of car diagnostic tools. Hope can learn something about automotive software from all you in this forums. Nice to meet you all. See you soon.
Everyone has a dream,but not everyone can realize the dream.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: V6 OBD-II Swaps - Need Information

Post by Daninski »

What do you mean, "See Us Soon". You plan on invading or some thing. Hey how about shipping us some free melamine for our milk, or possibly telling N Korea to piss off with the saber rattling. How about a deal of some cheap child made Nike's. I sure could use some lead contaminated children's toys, hate to see the kids develop a normal brain. But hey welcome to this site, what car did you say you were driving? OH the MX-3 Rickshaw Special Edition.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”