wiring indigo gauges

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
prunn

wiring indigo gauges

Post by prunn »

I've searche a lot but I don't know where to plug the invertor??
one guy was not sure(red/black) in the faq another one plugged it with the rear lights
anybody knows with what wire can I plug it so it can be easily used after

black: ground
red: positive
shouldnT there be a negative wire??
is there an actual ground wire already in the dash that I can plug this with?
thanks
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

ground is negative...

Use a test light to find positive..
ground can be anywhere thats connected to the frame, a bolt, ect...
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

you can wire the inverter off the dimmer switch like i did. if i remember correctly, there's a red (positive) and a red/black (negative) wire going into the dimmer. thing is that it's a-- backwards logic on the negative because it's the negative who's voltage changes from 12v down to 0v. basically positive stays at 12v constantly and the negative goes from 12v to 0v, thereby increasing the voltage difference going to the lights from 0v to 12v. make sense? :?

i'll double check wire colors when i get home from work, but i'm 200% sure on how the dimmer switch works.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
prunn

Post by prunn »

well take your time i'm not there yet I'm trying to fix the rpm needle cause the back of the needle stucks into the gauge
any tips for that?
prunn

Post by prunn »

i dont know why but i pull the needle one mm higher and its great but it keeps falling down... did i broke it??
prunn

Post by prunn »

after hours and hours of fittement the needle works fine again :D but the wire on the top of the face broke :oops: :oops:
thats what happen when you buy cheap stuff from ebay :evil:
I dont know if anybody have the same set that I got but there's no hole for the low fuel light... will I see it trought the face or is it really important that I make one?

so what color are the wires?
thanks a lot
prunn

Post by prunn »

now I'm there...
can I plug the ground on any GND screw in the back of the cluster?
or does GND stands for something else?
the positive is suppose to be plug with the black and red on the back of the cluster but can somebody confirm that? dont have anything to test the power :oops:
thanks
prunn

Post by prunn »

can I plug the positive on the acc screw??
93_MX3 GS

Post by 93_MX3 GS »

i dont reccomend doing that..i tryed doing that screwing the wires onto the back of the cluster to acc and gnd..but then my tach wouldn't work it would cut in and out and bounce around, plus they didnt seem as bright as hooking them up to the dimmer switch,, witch ive done now.. very easy just splice into the wires or stick the wires into the back of the dimmer switch.. gl
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

prunn wrote: so what color are the wires?
thanks a lot
sorry for the delay man. comp problems at home. anyways, i have the inverter red wire hooked up to the red with black stripe dimmer wire and the black inverter wire hooked up to the red dimmer wire. just make sure that the wire you attach the inverter black wire to varies from 12v to 0v. the red with black stripe wire should keep a steady 12v.

btw, i removed the oem gauges to make more room for the needles with the custom gauges. also, i removed all the green filters from those 'illum green' bulbs.

good luck.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
prunn

Post by prunn »

thanks a lot
but I just cutted the black/red wire... cause its attach to every green bulb so they dont light up anymore and I plugged it with my positive... and the other one on a gnd screw on the back of the cluster
I'm affraid like most people I broke the temp needle :oops: dont know about the gas... doesn't seem to but the worst thing is that there's no hole for the low gas light... I may have do do one :? ... if my gas needle is broken and I dont see the red light... I'm just screwed :cry:
thank you again
prunn

Post by prunn »

Now I'm really SREWED!!
I didnt cover up the dimmer switch it touched metal somewhere and it created a shortcut
so how do you change the fuse in the power inverter?? :oops: :oops: :oops:
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

are you sure you blew the inverter. Check the fuses in the fuse box, its possible you just blew one of them, when hooking it up.

-Ryan
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
prunn

Post by prunn »

well I dont know what was up with the inverter I know I blew the main fuse but a couple of hours after I changed the fuse it started working again :? ... is there a fail safe for that in the black box?? apparently even the company who sold me them don't know but I clearly had a shortcut so the fuse in the box should have blow
and I dont know why... the gauges dont work with the main dimmer in the car? not really a problem... I'll live with that, might it be cause I didn't wire my ground with the ground of the green lights?
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

you should wire them into the actual dimmer switch for the dash lights, You want to splice into the 12v input, i forget the color, use a multimeter and check for 12v, the other wire is after it goes through a variable resistor that drops the voltage to vary the brigtness of the lights.

-ryan
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”