[WTB] Can You Help Me Find This?

Looking for an Item you'd like to buy? Post here.
This section is NOT for selling.
girllikethat

[WTB] Can You Help Me Find This?

Post by girllikethat »

Hi. I'm new here. I need some help and this looked like the place to go. My boyfriend used to have a 1993 MX-3 SE (V6, Raspberry Metallic), but he totaled it on some ice. I've never seen a guy so devastated! Well, I'd like to get a replica of it for him. It's been over a year since the accident. Do you think it would be ok to get one (if I can find it) or do you guys think that would be opening an old wound?) Have you ever heard of a place, either in the US, Canada or overseas, that might have it? I'd like it in the Raspberry, but I'd be willing to take black too (his very first MX-3 was black) or even a different color. I've found many Mazdas online (ebay, hobby shops, etc.), but all they have are MX-5s or RX-7s, etc. They actually have models of the MPV! Not that there's anything wrong with that, but they must make an MX-3 model if they make an MPV model, right? :( Help?! Thanks! :)
Blazianenigma

Post by Blazianenigma »

Hmmm...when I had my supra and when it was wrecked...
I was a pretty sad puppy for a while.
A friend got me a model of one (same color) and it did make me feel a little better and upset at the same time...however a few months later I was given a supra that needed some TLC...and that kinda made me feel better.

I would leave it up to ur judgement on how much he really loved the car.
Its not hard to get another MX at a low price...or even a project one.

but about the model...
Not sure about the Raspberry color but I have a blue one.
I had it shipped from a friend in Europe.
Best best is to look up SAPI Models and Eunos Presso thats what they call the MX overseas.
1993 MX-3 (Converting in Oct)
2004 MS6 (Repairing)
1982 Limited Edition Me (.04Hp)
girllikethat

Post by girllikethat »

Thanks so much for that info! I was only searching for an MX-3, but I was just thinking about searching under the foreign names. As much as I love him (I loved the car too, even though purple is not my color) and would buy him a fixer upper in a heartbeat, I can't afford that. :( Plus, it would be a big financial undertaking for him to work on it, although it would be easier for him to do it now, since he has another car. He was going to fix it up after he crashed it, but he couldn't afford the time and money to fix it while working full time to save up for a new car. Add to that the high cost of taxis and buses and it just wasn't economical. :( I hope he can get another someday. He still keeps in touch with the guy who bought his from him (it wasn't technically totaled, but it was hard to tell how the frame had fared, etc.). The guy lives a few towns over, so I suspect he will visit him one day. Thanks again! :)
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

There are a few now on ebay here...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... =&saprchi=

He'll love ya even more if ya get him the full size drivable version :D
Image -Jim
girllikethat

Post by girllikethat »

Awww, believe me, I would buy him them in mint, showroom condition in every color if I could! :( I was doing some reading and I could be completely wrong, but it sounded like the raspberry metallic wasn't made overseas. Therefore, I don't think I could get a model of a raspberry metallic one. :( Thanks so much for that Ebay link, though! I might get him that black one, since he had a black one before his purple one. :)
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Yeah, if memory serves, I think the rasp metallic was only on the North American model GS Special Edition commemorating Mazda's 25th year in N.A.
Image -Jim
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Indeed. Although the SE's could be bought in other stock colors, the Raspberry metallic was reserved to the North American (Canada 25th Anniversary) 1993 Special Edition

You can check out the color chart here:
http://mx-3.com/colours/

Overseas, the Mx-3 has a few other names
Eunos Presso
Eunos 30x
Autozam AZ-3

If you wanted to, which I plan to do one of these days, and if your crafty, is that you can take the model appart and repaint just the body. Should be able to find something very close at a hobby shop or even automotive spray can paint. I'd say you could do to Mazda to get a small bottle of the touch up paint, should be enough to cover the car, but they may not have any more
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
girllikethat

Post by girllikethat »

:shock: Those are great ideas, guys! Thanks so much! I looked up the raspberry metallic paint on ebay and it looks like I could get some. It would be great to repaint a model...maybe I could buy a white model and put some coats over it? Thanks again! This was supposed to be for Easter, but I might just get it and work on it over time. It might make a nice Christmas present. Too bad his birthday was in February. :?
girllikethat

Post by girllikethat »

My question about painting is actually can I paint over the existing paint or do I have to strip the paint and add a primer like with a real car? My dad has a paint booth for his antique cars, so he could help me prep the body(granted I'm talking about a model). I would want it to last, not have the paint peel off because it's just slapped over a previous coat. If I'm going to do this, I'd like to do it right. Thanks! :D
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

http://www.atlantamx3.com/mx3scalemodel/disassembly/

Mine back at home, so I can't look at it, but I think it's a die cast metal model. Like painting anything, not just real cars, good prep definitely give the final paint a better quality, and primer for the paint to stick.

I guess it depends on how accurate you want and how much money you want to spend on this project, but neither the Presso or Az-3 are perfectly accurate.

The Eunos Presso is almost perfect, even the rims cause those that come on the SE that your b/f had, the only discrepency is the spoiler, the Presso doesn't have the spoiler on the hatch, the Az-3 does, which is the spoiler your b/f's raspberry Mx-3 would of had as well. So in a sence, you'd have to get both, and put the AZ-3 spoiler on the Presso. As well, for more accuracy, the North American Mx-3's don't have fog lights in the front bumper, when you have the body appart, you could always shave off and fill the foglight holes for a more accurate representation.

This would definitely be a tedious and you'd actually be spending $100 in model cars before even doing any of the work, but it all depends on if you want to. Mx-3 owers are usually delighted to just get the model as-is in itself since they are the only model Mx-3 in existance, ever, but the other way. it would be the more expensive way for sure, and probably not something you'll pull off in a weekend either, but in the end, you'd have an accurate and unique Mx-3 model car.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
girllikethat

Post by girllikethat »

:D Thanks! I have no problem putting the work in, but the $100 price tag is a bit steep. :( Knowing him, he will appreciate the model no matter what, so I think I will just buy one model. :wink: Thanks to everyone for so much advice!
girllikethat

Post by girllikethat »

Great news! :D I ordered the red Autozam AZ-3 off of ebay today! I'm not sure how long it will take to ship from Japan, but if it doesn't make it in time for Easter, then I will just work on it and present it to him later. I've found a few places that sell the right paint (I even remembered to use color code ::flush of pride:: (6V) so that it would be the authentic color, not someone's slighted take on raspberry metallic), so I should be all set.

I've started learning about how to sand it down and prime it. Since it's not a full sized car, I'm sure I don't have to be quite so meticulous, but I plan to try. I am trying to think of a way to recreate the rubber seal around the sun roof. I might just use puffy paint or something like that.

I would be happy to post progress reports and pictures if anyone is curious, although I should probably find a more appropriate forum for this information, since I've already bought it and this is in the WTB section. I know that Nd4SpdSe mentioned that he would like to attempt this project one day.

If anyone has any painting advice or tips on how to make this red Autozam AZ-3 into a (hopefully) flawless MX-3 GS SE in Raspberry Metallic (including how to add decals on the trunk, hood, etc.), please don't hesitate to post the information or to send me a message. Thanks again to everyone!!! :D
girllikethat

Post by girllikethat »

Quick update: I started a new topic for this project in the appearances section of the forum. I hope that's the right place. If not, I think you could find the posting by searching for my username. Thanks again!
Danny

Post by Danny »

Ohhh, snaps. I was reading this and I saw the part that said "I wanted to get him a replica of it." I thought you meant like, get him the exact same looking car. I was like 'dayum, this chick really likes her man, I wish my girl was like that.' But then I just realized ya'll were talking about toys or whatever. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a nice thing to do...I was just thinking....dang...lol.
girllikethat

Post by girllikethat »

Hahaha, I know it. :( As I've said before, I would gladly buy him a real one if I had the money. I'd get him as many as he wanted in mint condition! I know they can be quite reasonable, but I also know that he'd be upset if I spent that kind of money on him.

He was horrified that I spent $200 to get him tickets to the sold out Tool concert that he'd wanted to go to this past fall. But, it was for our anniversary and he got me a nice claddagh ring which cost about that, so we were equal.

Alas, all I can afford is a $50 model and some customizations with love. I agree that it would be amazing to buy him a new one. However, he could have kept his old one and fixed it, but he didn't feel like he had the money or time to really fix it.

So, he sold it to a (hopefully) good home and he still keeps in touch with the new owner. Unfortunately, I think it's a parts car now for the guy's other MX-3. I guess it's a little bit like organ donation. His old car can now restore this guy's other MX-3 to its former glory.

Return to “MX-3 Related Want to Buy Forum”