i ask alot of stupid question...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
delpy32

i ask alot of stupid question...

Post by delpy32 »

i cant find a header for my 1.6...this summer im going to do a 2.5 swap but i still want to play around with my 1.6 and get a lil more power and sound...
does anyone know where i can get a header for my 1.6 for a decent price...or if one of you guys have one you want to get rid of...pm me
thanks
-Ryan
1992 mx-3, white, 1.6 sohc, 5 speed, custom: intake, interior and exhaust
lycanthrope

Post by lycanthrope »

uh, the stock 1.6 has a header-like exhaust manifold to begin with, just peak under the shield, if you want sound, start obtaining the new exhaust system for your 2.5 and if you are anxious enough, have it put in; when your new engine goes in, it'll already be in place, you may lose a little low-end power for the 1.6, however, you're money will be going towards a bigger and better thing, patience, heh heh...
93MX3-B6ME, homegrown matching on my intake and head, HiFlow-Cat > 2.25" > no res. > Truck Muffler from Meineke (a.k.a. Mexican Flowmaster), 4 wheels with accompanying tires...<br>Image
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Re: i ask alot of stupid question...

Post by OROutdoors »

delpy32 wrote:i cant find a header for my 1.6...this summer im going to do a 2.5 swap but i still want to play around with my 1.6 and get a lil more power and sound... does anyone know where i can get a header for my 1.6 for a decent price...or if one of you guys have one you want to get rid of...pm me
thanks
lycanthrope wrote:uh, the stock 1.6 has a header-like exhaust manifold to begin with, just peak under the shield, if you want sound, start obtaining the new exhaust system for your 2.5 and if you are anxious enough, have it put in; when your new engine goes in, it'll already be in place, you may lose a little low-end power for the 1.6, however, you're money will be going towards a bigger and better thing, patience, heh heh...
That is, it sounds like Ryan is saying he removed the 1.6 header and can't find where he put it . I do that sometimes with my keys or glasses -- never with a header. I always have a special place to leave my header so I don't loose it -- on my dresser right next to girl friend's pantyhose.

Or, maybe he bought the car without the header, and is just looking for a header -- in which case this message could have been posted in the WTB section. Ryan, try searching on http://www.car-part.com -- I see 8 exhaust manifolds listed in PA. One for $45 even comes with the cat. Ones that don't list the price can often be great values. Also, search by region, sometimes a good part is just across state lines.
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

um..

He's looking for an aftermarket header for his 1.6L.

http://corksport.com/store/category/53f ... ntake.html

Some have used a Ford Probe 2.0L 4cl header and redrilled holes to make it fit.
delpy32

Post by delpy32 »

OROutdorrs...hahaha...i had the biggest smile on my face while i was reading what you replied to me...i sure didnt loose mine...im looking for an aftermarket one...but if i ever do loose mine...ill be sure to call you for the investigation...
1992 mx-3, white, 1.6 sohc, 5 speed, custom: intake, interior and exhaust
import_fan7
Supporting Member

Post by import_fan7 »

ya corksport has pretty much the only aftermarket header ive ever seen for the 1.6 dohc and sohc made by genie.....but the other thing im goin to ask is you said your doin a 2.5 swap in your 1.6 sohc?? thats goin to be one big pain in the neck your def goin to need a gs doner car so you can swap everything from it..good luck man!
1995 MX3 RS - SOLD :(..... i will remain on this site!......hopefully buying a v6 mx3 spring 09!!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2564737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

delpy32 wrote:OROutdorrs...hahaha...i had the biggest smile on my face while i was reading what you replied to me
Good -- sometimes humor gets lost in type.

I'm in kind of the same boat as you, I have a 1.6L 93 mx-3, and am in process of blueprinting a BP engine (just getting started right now) to install later. Although I want to see some immediate improvements in my RS (before the swap), I don't want to waste money. So, I'm doing some upgrades to the 1.6 now, while the BP is in process, that can be unbolted later and installed on the BP.

Among things I am doing now are improving suspension, installing a CAI, looking at grounding and ignition issues, and taking care of some body work issues. I expect that all will be able to be used after the BP is installed, so I won't be wasting money. For you, you want a bit more power and sound. Lycanthrope suggested working on the exhaust -- that is a good suggestion, it should reduce exhaust pressure and give you better sound. He also pointed out that the stock ex. manifold is rather like a tuned header header already. So, there's really little to be gained if you replace the header unless you are planning to keep the 1.6. Consider doing the CAI upgrade too (does anyone know if the CAI for the 1.6 will work with the 2.5?). I'd think that if you do the CAI and the exhaust now, you'll get better sound and the parts will be transferrable.

Now, if sound is just what you want -- get a digital sound processor, loosen the downpipe bolts, record the engine to create a wave file of the sound of the engine through one compresion cycle, and tighten the bolts back up. Take that wave file and have it triggered by piston 1 firing, with speeding or slowing the playback of the wave file according to time between the previous two firings -- play that through a large amp and speakers, and presto -- one ROARING 1.6L engine. Hehehehe
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”