Oily, oily

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Tropical Emerald 1993

Oily, oily

Post by Tropical Emerald 1993 »

I'm not expert but I suspect oil may be comming from that sensor above or that round screw(on top of the engine part)?? What do you think?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Could be your valve cover or disty
delpy32

Post by delpy32 »

if you talking about that lil gold looking thing to the right of the hose...i have the same problem...i replaced like a bunch of seals cleaned it all up real nice...now its back again...i need to know the answer to this too...good post
1992 mx-3, white, 1.6 sohc, 5 speed, custom: intake, interior and exhaust
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

that gotta be a sohc right
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Tropical Emerald 1993

yes, it's sohc.
Tropical Emerald 1993

BTW left and top side of the engine are clean, only this part on the pic is oily.
lycanthrope

Post by lycanthrope »

like Custom suggests...

it does appear to be a valve cover leak though, even the tiniest streams of oil can become very messy like in the photos you've provided and unless you seal those valve cover gaskets with a silicone bead, you can probably expect them to start leaking within a year or so...
93MX3-B6ME, homegrown matching on my intake and head, HiFlow-Cat > 2.25" > no res. > Truck Muffler from Meineke (a.k.a. Mexican Flowmaster), 4 wheels with accompanying tires...<br>Image
Tropical Emerald 1993

I DON'T think oil comes from valve cover. Today I cleaned the oily parts and found oil on 2 spots:

The left spot seems to come from the pipe above and I'm not sure how oil got on the right spot (maybe also from that pipe or that strange round screw).
lycanthrope

Post by lycanthrope »

unfortunately, the "pipe above" the left red circle is a coolant line...
93MX3-B6ME, homegrown matching on my intake and head, HiFlow-Cat > 2.25" > no res. > Truck Muffler from Meineke (a.k.a. Mexican Flowmaster), 4 wheels with accompanying tires...<br>Image
Tropical Emerald 1993

Than that pipe is ok. Somewhere on that area around the pipe oil is leaking but I can't see where exactly.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

The head gasket is a possibility. They are composite gaskets with o-rings on them for oil to drain down to the block. They leak eventually and that's usually where the oil runs down. The red circle on the trans is a vent tube. It's not likely gear oil would be coming out unless the trans temperature was pretty high or the fluid level is way overfull.

The round screw on top of the hose is a coolant temp sender. Only coolant flows past it. Hope this helps.
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

I noticed on leaks that I've seen on cars before, that the location of the leak is cleaner than the rest of the engine... like a little gap in the grime of the rest of the engine. Usually, this is around a gasket, where two parts meet. Take a good look at your engine, look for places where the dirt and oil is missing. That could be the leak.
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
Tropical Emerald 1993

Thanks for the feedback, I've cleaned the engine and oil first appears on red arrows:

Since engine rebuild is not an option I'll put silicone all over this binding (head gasket?) and tighten the screws if necessary. I'll also pour in oil additive for leakages.

As for this one I have no idea where oil is comming from. Please advise on this :idea: :

cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

Sure looks like the head gasket just like everyone else is saying. The oil around the transaxle vent is engine oil, mostlikly from the head gasket too. If you have over heated your engine in the past, it would have warped your head, causing the leak. Remeber they are aluminium heads that warp at just a little heat.
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tropical Emerald 1993

Yes, I had over-heat when my radiator broke down.

Where do I put silicone in the 2nd pic?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”