Best Headgasket

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Best Headgasket

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

Question. What is better, a MLS headgasket or a Hussey copper headgasket? Pros/cons?
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

MLS head gaskets from Cometic or Fel-Pro are usually the best choice. I've used both of them to 30psi of boost on pump gas with no problems.

Copper Headgaskets usually have to have the block or head o-ringed with a piece of Stainless Steel wire to seal the combustion chambers. They are also notorious for seaping oil and coolant. Honestly more trouble than it is worth for most cars but not all.

It is VERY important to have a super flat head and deck surface with a smooth surface for either types of head gaskets to seal well. The Fel-Pro MLS head gasket is compatible with I believe a 76 ra or smoother surface (you can BARELY see machine marks left at that finish). The Cometic requires an even smoother finish as there viton coating is only about .001" thick. I think they required a 56 ra or smoother surface (the lower the ra, the smoother the finish). The OEM finish is pushing the limit and I'd recommend having both the head and deck (head at a minimum) surfaced to a 32 ra finish. Using them with the OEM finish usually results in slight oil seepage but no combustion chamber leakage. The other thing I highly recommend is wiping down the surfaces with Acetone and clean lint free rags for the best results.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!

Return to “Forced Induction”