How much to replace Rear valve cover gasket??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

How much to replace Rear valve cover gasket??

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

How much does it normally cost to have a shop replace my rear valve cover gasket according to your guys' personal experiences? I'm deciding whether to do it myself or just bring it to the shop. I already have the valve cover gaskets in hand.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

do it yourself, rear one requires some r/r but front one my little brother can do it.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Its not that tough.. but you will need to remove and reinstall the intake manifold as well. A shop will probably charge you something like 150-300 depending on the shop and their honesty level. Its about a 2 hour job if you know what your doing and have decent tools at hand. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

ya its not a hard thing to do i did one on my old car and i didn't know jack about cars =)
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
illapino

Post by illapino »

is this because of ur engine oil mysteriously vanishing every few days? if ur thinking of replacing valve cover gaskets because of this, then i say look for causes deeper in the engine. coz i replaced my front valve cover gasket and the engine oil still vanishes somehow (despite the oil buildup around my old valve cover, which first made me believe that it was solely the valve cover gasket that was the culprit, which turns out now it really isn't). so i'm thinking major valve\lifter work, right boys? .. i also thought about the, what do u call them, cylinder gaskets that are deeper than the valve cover gaskets, but not sure anymore...
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

illapino wrote:is this because of ur engine oil mysteriously vanishing every few days? if ur thinking of replacing valve cover gaskets because of this, then i say look for causes deeper in the engine. coz i replaced my front valve cover gasket and the engine oil still vanishes somehow (despite the oil buildup around my old valve cover, which first made me believe that it was solely the valve cover gasket that was the culprit, which turns out now it really isn't). so i'm thinking major valve\lifter work, right boys? .. i also thought about the, what do u call them, cylinder gaskets that are deeper than the valve cover gaskets, but not sure anymore...

If your oil is mysteriously dissapearing this is usually a sign that your valve stem seals are shot. Oil gets sucked through the sucked through seals through the guides and out the exhaust. This is normal on high mileage K series V-6 once that get past about 130000km
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

i'd go with do it yourself. Just label everything when taking off your intake mani, and get yourself a vacume diagram if you feel you might need alittle extra help. Also, if you have a REALLY bad memmory, try taking pictures or a video as you take it off, and rewatch the video or pictures when you put it back on.

For 300 you could buy youselft something else, so save your money and good luck!
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

there comes point in time when its cheaper to replace it with klze.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

It is for my ZE. And I never had oil vanishing from my motor. I had PS fluid disappearing. Thanks everyone I guess Ill be taking my motor apart.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Just a few tips:

Get a new intake manifold gasket or use some gasket maker on the intake seal. If it leaks you'll be posting about idle issue or no cranking in a few days. Secondly use the proper torque specs and tightening order on the intake. It helps make the seal properly. Reinstall that b----'n bracket that holds the back-side of the intake manifold up. The weight of the manifold requires that bracket or you'll loose the seal over time, heat and vibration. It is a PITA to take the bracket off and even worse to get it back on, but it is necessary unfortunately. Make sure the mating surfaces are clean for the valve cover and intake and do not scratch them when removing the old gasket. Make sure to use a "bit" of gasket maker on the valve cover gasket mating surface where the level of the surface changes and in the corners as it will help keep the oil from leaking out.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
93BlazeRed

Post by 93BlazeRed »

just wondering if this will be able ot fix my problem of oil leaking into the alternator and causing it to go bad every month or so =<
and when i looked underneath the alernator, it and all surrounding parts were caked in a layer of oil
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Shampoo the engine, run it for a bit and check for leaks to find where they're coming from.
Cody
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

you should get a bottle of engine dye. you can pick it up from any parts store. around 10 dollars. Put it in your oil and run the engine for a week or so, then get a black light flashlight and the dye will illuminate and you can see where your leak is coming from.

-Ryan
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”