ENGINE DETONATION

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Gottagofaster

ENGINE DETONATION

Post by Gottagofaster »

today my 93 mx-3 rs died....I was driving down the road and it was ticking(bad). and there was a loud clunk rpms dropped and it has not run since.... i have no idea what happened but it won't even turn over. the starter trys and it won't turn over. So i'm thinking I threw a rod. So now i'm going to pick up a bp tomorrow and start my swap hah....The engine made it 235k miles so i'm pretty dang happy with that. I bought it 4 months ago with 220k. so thats it for the sohc motor
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

if it was ticking it might have had low oil pressure or low oil. and in that case you might have one nice peice of scrap aluminum under the hood.
Gottagofaster

yeah

Post by Gottagofaster »

well i know it didn't have low oil. I"m pretty sure i broke it because the night before i did some racing...I drove it really really hard and I noticed it when i got home that that night. and well I think i killed it then....it's cool though bc i've wanted a good exuse to do this swap so now it's definently going to happen tomorrow....as long as i don't mess it up. I still gotta find a good bp ecu and harness
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

Post by ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005) »

I know how you feel ! Smart choice to go with the BP swap. Good luck with the swap !
Apexi Safc 2 ,Timex Boost-Temp-Oil Gauges, Stage 1 Performance clutch, 8.5 mm Magnacore plug Wires,2.5 inch exhaust, Cold Air Intake , Short Shifter , High temp rotors & Ceramic pads to slow it all down !
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

im just saying a ticking noise on these engines is infamos for low oil pressure. i thought i had full oil on mine and almost destroyed my engine cause my mainseal broke and lost all my oil but it went into the bell houseing so i didnt know about it. crack your tranny bolts a bit and see if oil comes out. if so. your pistons are prolly a permanant part of your block now
Gottagofaster

ha

Post by Gottagofaster »

yeah Its possible, I'l let you know what i find today when i start pulling my engine.
also i have a quick question can i take all my accesories of my sohc and put them on my bp? bc the motor im' buying only comes with the motor...
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

i know you cant use the header, but im not sure about the intake...
Limegreen mx-3

Re: ha

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Gottagofaster wrote:yeah Its possible, I'l let you know what i find today when i start pulling my engine.
also i have a quick question can i take all my accesories of my sohc and put them on my bp? bc the motor im' buying only comes with the motor...
dude on is a B6-ME design differently forn the BP-DE. the header and intake manifold from the sohc will not bolt up to the BP. the PS and A/C will bolt up read the damn 4cly faq am sure more that 100 people have done the BP swap i have done it more than 10 timeson my mx-3 and other customer cars that wanted the BP swap in there MX-3

there is a sticky on a BP swap guide 1st post on the 4cl. technical/performance
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Gottagofaster

Post by Gottagofaster »

sorry that was unlcear i knew about all of the intake/exhaust those things. i was wondering about alternator, and coils, and just the really little things like that and i have read that entire swap guide.
mx3gtracer

Post by mx3gtracer »

since you're doing a swap, I would say anything questionable or stock from the original should go. the alternator can be fun though take it to a motor rebuilder and have it rebuilt and rewound, meanwhile take the housing and have it powdercoated. if you're going for pure performance I would only keep the things that work acceptionally well because one bad part can always cause a chain reaction of other parts straining. I'd replace the plug wires and disty especially, the engine going could have fried both.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

throwing an engine rod and/or running the engine without oil will not cause the disty or wires to be "fried". if your disty worked fine, you might as well keep using it. replace your wires if they need it, if not they should swap right over to the BP.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”