HELP!! Exhaust dilema.....

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions

Should I get a straight cat off ebay or try finding a bolt on aftermarket elsewhere?

Poll ended at September 5th, 2006, 1:17 am

Ebay straight cat.
100%
Actual cat.
No votes

Total votes: 2

mx3gtracer

HELP!! Exhaust dilema.....

Post by mx3gtracer »

Ok here's the deal, I noticed I have some rattling going on and sometimes it seems I lose some power when it happens to be loud so I'm guessing a burnt out cat converter. Here's my problem, I'm guessing it's going to be pretty pricy to replace the cat and I still haven't solved my vac problem. I plan on putting on a muffler from ebay and wondering if I should even consider the straight cat on ebay as well to cut the cost and increase some power.

But in considering the straight cat two concerns come to mind, it's illegal to remove the cat and it'll prolly make my engine run a lot hotter, my engine is a 95 1.6L DOHC by the way. WHAT SHOULD I DO???? I did try searching the forum, I hope I didn't miss the info and reask a question, if I did I apologize as I'm a newbie.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

I say bang out the cat and stick a straight pipe through it.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

put a cat on. Save the enviroment for your children. Its illegal to not run one.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

I could debate on what your saying but I will be nice and not debate it. But if you want to depate it bput it in off topic and I will give you my educated peice of mind on it lol :P
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

MechaManZero wrote:I could debate on what your saying but I will be nice and not debate it. But if you want to depate it bput it in off topic and I will give you my educated peice of mind on it lol :P
What?? What are you going to debate? That a catalytic converter does NOT reduce emissions? By the way if you are using your educated mind in posting replies try and spell right.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

it could be debated this way...

what saves the enviroment more?

catalytic converter -or- better gas milage (less fuel cosumption)
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

cjthor wrote:
MechaManZero wrote:I could debate on what your saying but I will be nice and not debate it. But if you want to depate it bput it in off topic and I will give you my educated peice of mind on it lol :P
What?? What are you going to debate? That a catalytic converter does NOT reduce emissions? By the way if you are using your educated mind in posting replies try and spell right.
Not really about that the emissions and some of what Winglebeast is saying. I said if you want to debate it put it in the Off Topic area. It pertains to limit resources and who hurts more NASA launching rockets with gallons and gallons of fuel compared to a cars in one well populated town.

By the way with a cat you need your car to run richer for the catalytic converter to do its job. :wink:
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

If your car is STOCK and all the original emissions systems are on and working correctly....put a cat back on.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
mx3gtracer

Post by mx3gtracer »

Well right now the exhaust is stock until I put on the aftermarket muffler. I also have a cone filter on so the intake is a little more open. My main concern is doing what's best for the engine, I don't wanna burn it up. Also for those recommending cats could you please recommend what brand ?
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

mx3gtracer wrote:Well right now the exhaust is stock until I put on the aftermarket muffler. I also have a cone filter on so the intake is a little more open. My main concern is doing what's best for the engine, I don't wanna burn it up. Also for those recommending cats could you please recommend what brand ?
There is carsound and also flowmaster who make hi flow cats. I got a "hiflow" cat off ebay.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
mx3gtracer

Post by mx3gtracer »

Are these a direct bolt on? I'm kind of looking for something I could just put on myself with a wrench and a couple jack stands
mx3gtracer

Post by mx3gtracer »

would this be the type of cat you got off ebay??? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-32 ... enameZWDVW

If so is your engine running hotter or any sensors being set off?
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Im not sure what the OEM catalytic looks like. You might want to go under your car and take a look. Also email the company on that ebay add and ask them for the overall length and measure yours. Replacing the cat should NOT make your engine run hotter or set off your check engine light.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
mx3gtracer

Post by mx3gtracer »

Well I did purchase the cat I mentioned above after the ebay seller let me know it is an actual cat and that there would be no cutting necessary for installation. I will return to let you all know how it works out.....
mx3gtracer

Post by mx3gtracer »

Ok so here's where I'm at. the car broked down 2 hours from home and is getting a used tranny. meanwhile the "high flow" cat was ordered, the guy swore it was shipped when it wasn't and is now offering the straight pipe in place of it so I'm taking the straight pipe and running with it just to see what it'll do for me. But for those against the whole straight pipe violation of emitions, I will be planning to get a cat back exhaust with a magnaflow, or flowmaster cat in the future. However I will make a mention, for those arguing the cat keeps our environment cleaner, I have a phrase to call upon: you can not create nor destroy matter. In other words while the cat keeps some pollutants from coming out the tail pipe, keep in mind that doesn't mean they don't exist, when the car dies or the cat is pulled, it goes to a scrap yard or a dump and guess where those pollutants are going to be, released... in the end the pollution angle results in an argument of when the pollution will be released.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”