Car dies when hot

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
95_mx-3

Car dies when hot

Post by 95_mx-3 »

Okay. I'm having this problem for about 1 year now. I just did complete tune up yesterday and thought the problem will be fixed, but not. My car stumbles and sputters when engine is hot. It gets worse if A/C is on. For example, I drop by grocery store, get out, start the car, turn on A/C and put my gear on reverse and car sputters and dies. In the morning right after I start the car, this problem is hardly there. It stumbles little bit when in reverse. Sometimes car dies at stop light. I also have this power loss when I hit the accelator from dead stop. There's a couple of seconds hesitation.

I checked vacuum leak, compression, replaced thermostat & coolant temp sensor, add injector cleaner, cleaned throttle body...etc. You name it. I did everything I could. What is it? Any idea? BTW, it's 95 MX-3 4 cyl A/T.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Use the online shop manual and do the diagnosis checks for your distributor and coil. Heat causes coils to break down.. they stop working efficiently.. the results would be no or little spark to your spark plugs. At least that is what I would check first. Hope this helps. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
95_mx-3

Post by 95_mx-3 »

Thanks!
Got the shop mannual and will do it soon. Manual says that I have to it when temp is around 68F. Hmmm... Where I live the lowest temp is like 80. If I drive my car to the shop, my engine will be hot. Can I still do it? Well, I guess I'll do it anyway though. Just curious.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

O2 sensor & HEI mod
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
95_mx-3

Post by 95_mx-3 »

Okay. My mechanic suspects that it's distributor, so I just ordered it. $317 from the dealership. I'm sick and tired of this, so I'll replace it right away. If this doesn't work, next will be O2 sensor. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for your help!!
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

could be your coolant temp sensor for your ecu also.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
ven

Post by ven »

had that same problem thought it was the whole disty turned out it was just the cap.

I bet if you open the hood and have the engine running you can put the metal end of the screw driver down beside the disty cap you will see an electrical arc. this is because your cap is bad and your getting mosture into the cap stopping the disty from working properly...
Spray some silicon spray over the cap I would bet your problem will temerarly go away. give it a shot it wont hurt. this way you know its not the whole thing..

thx ven
STeve
1996 Black MX-3 GS
North Bay, ON Canada
If your in North Bay lets hang out and go for beers
xtreme velocity

Post by xtreme velocity »

i have the same problem..only mine wont quit die on me..just feels like it would die..i made a post bout it..under rough idel..thanx for the help..if i get any progress i will post..
Current:
93 F-250 Diesel Coal Roller (For Sale)
06 RX-8 1.3 Rotary AT 6 speed (All looks)
79 Ford Courier 2.3 4cyl 5 speed (lil Pete)

Past:
05 Mazda RX-8 1.3 Rotary MT 6 speed
90 Mazda Miata 1.6L 5 speed 45k miles
94 MX-3 RS DOHC 5 speed 90k miles
95_mx-3

Finally fixed!!!!

Post by 95_mx-3 »

Okay. I finally fixed this problem. My car runs and idles perfect now. This is what I have done in order. My tune up was up, so I was able to drop some money with no problem.

1. Spark plugs
2. Spark plug wire
3. Distributor Rotor & Cap
4. Timing belt
5. Water pump
6. Accessory belts
7. Thermostat
8. Coolant temperature sensor
9. Intake tube(There was a huge crack)
10. PCV Valve
11. Some old vacuum hoses
12. Sea Foamed throttle body, crank case and put some in gas tank
-----------------------------------------

None of the above fixed the problem. We are having over 100 degrees in Texas in these days, and my car died all the time at the stop light especially in the afternoon. I had to turn off the A/C and put in neutral to keep the car running. I didn't want to replace whole distributor unit because it was expensive, but I had no choice. Paid $345 including tax at local dealership. That was with 10% discount. It was rebuild one, so I had to return the core. Anyway, replaced it and guess what? My car runs perfect now. I had knocking noise and it's gone too. Thank god this problem is finally fixed. I guess it'll be good for another 10 years from now on. I hope this helps.
Last edited by 95_mx-3 on August 16th, 2006, 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

95_mx-3 what part of texas u in.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
95_mx-3

Post by 95_mx-3 »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:95_mx-3 what part of texas u in.
I'm in Dallas. I bet San Antonio is hotter than here.
95_mx-3

Post by 95_mx-3 »

BTW, I'd like to say thanks to Tunes67 for great support. I'm really happy to fix my car although I've spent ton of money. I really love this car.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

No worries man :2thumbsup: Thats what is so very cool about this website.. its more than a website.. its a community. And everyone helps when they can. Cheers :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
xtreme velocity

Re: Finally fixed!!!!

Post by xtreme velocity »

95_mx-3 wrote:Okay. I finally fixed this problem. My car runs and idles perfect now. This is what I have done in order. My tune up was up, so I was able to drop some money with no problem.

1. Spark plugs
2. Spark plug wire
3. Distributor Rotor & Cap
4. Timing belt
5. Water pump
6. Accessory belts
7. Thermostat
8. Coolant temperature sensor
9. Intake tube(There was a huge crack)
10. PCV Valve
11. Some old vacuum hoses
12. Sea Foamed throttle body, crank case and put some in gas tank
-----------------------------------------

None of the above fixed the problem. We are having over 100 degrees in Texas in these days, and my car died all the time at the stop light especially in the afternoon. I had to turn off the A/C and put in neutral to keep the car running. I didn't want to replace whole distributor unit because it was expensive, but I had no choice. Paid $345 including tax at local dealership. That was with 10% discount. It was rebuild one, so I had to return the core. Anyway, replaced it and guess what? My car runs perfect now. I had knocking noise and it's gone too. Thank god this problem is finally fixed. I guess it'll be good for another 10 years from now on. I hope this helps.
zamn..i dont have that kind of money..lol..i will do it slowly n see wut happens..
Current:
93 F-250 Diesel Coal Roller (For Sale)
06 RX-8 1.3 Rotary AT 6 speed (All looks)
79 Ford Courier 2.3 4cyl 5 speed (lil Pete)

Past:
05 Mazda RX-8 1.3 Rotary MT 6 speed
90 Mazda Miata 1.6L 5 speed 45k miles
94 MX-3 RS DOHC 5 speed 90k miles
95_mx-3

Post by 95_mx-3 »

"zamn..i dont have that kind of money..lol..i will do it slowly n see wut happens.."

I hear you, but I haven't spent any money on my MX-3 except regular tune up, oil and filters for a long time. It's been very reliable. I didn't do everything at once. I did small things(plugs, wire, rotor, cap, hoses and intake tube...etc) myself at home first little by little, and then I went from there. If distributor didn't fix it, I was going to move on to O2 sensor, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump & injectors and such. I've been having this problem about an year and recently I wasn't able to drive and felt unsafe. It'll be okay for you guys for a while, but eventually it'll become a big problem. At least that's what happened to me.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”