Too much fuel management????

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Too much fuel management????

Post by cjthor »

Ok so Im running an apexi super afc, 320cc injectors, and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. I think the acf and RRFPR are trying to fight eachother and my car wont go rich. Should I delete the RRFPR with a regular regulator???
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

From my experience, i'd say they are fighting eachother.

Try eliminating the RRFPR and see what happens.

If you have the bigger injectors and presumably bigger fuel pump, i'd say thats enough fuel already.

IMO, The RRFPR causes fuel pressure the SAFC isnt acounting for.
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

http://www.pakfeifertuning.com
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

You definately got too much going on there. You have so much changed on the car that you would be better off just going standalone. Get a haltech e6k or something. For the love of god do not get a megasquirt. They are the shits to tune, Id trust an ipod to run the engine more than I would trust a MS.. :P

If you got an e6x they are fairly cheap these days and will work wonders, You can eliminate the rrfpr and the safc and sell them to offset the cost of a standalone. I remember being worried about going standalone in my car since its my only car and I drive it every day.. but man.. it was actually the best thing I have ever bought for the car. The car works so good and is so reliable I drive it every day, rain or shine.

The benifits of being able to precisely ajust your fuel and timing needs.. Your car will be so much better I guarantee it. Youll wonder how you even survived without it.
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Franko wrote:You definately got too much going on there. You have so much changed on the car that you would be better off just going standalone. Get a haltech e6k or something. For the love of god do not get a megasquirt. They are the shits to tune, Id trust an ipod to run the engine more than I would trust a MS.. :P

If you got an e6x they are fairly cheap these days and will work wonders, You can eliminate the rrfpr and the safc and sell them to offset the cost of a standalone. I remember being worried about going standalone in my car since its my only car and I drive it every day.. but man.. it was actually the best thing I have ever bought for the car. The car works so good and is so reliable I drive it every day, rain or shine.

The benifits of being able to precisely ajust your fuel and timing needs.. Your car will be so much better I guarantee it. Youll wonder how you even survived without it.
Not ready for standalone. Sooo delete the RRFPR and just use the stock regulator/???
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

EZ_4_FUN wrote:
IMO, The RRFPR causes fuel pressure the SAFC isnt acounting for.
I think youre right.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

if you are using larger injectors, the rrfpr give you more adjustability and flexability for tuning idle and low to mid rpm.

the rrfpr allows you to reduce fp at idle on larger injectors where the safc is not enough unless the injectors are only slightly larger than the stockers
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Franko wrote:Y For the love of god do not get a megasquirt. They are the shits to tune, Id trust an ipod to run the engine more than I would trust a MS.. :P
i had no prior tuning or standalone experience and i found MS (MSnS) to be very simple and easy to tune. I guess it just down to the person doing it.
Not trying to sell a product thats not even mine, just giving another side of the story.

EDIT: keep in mind i had the base map pre made for me. So i did not have to start from scratch.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Ive used a few standalones.. aem, haltech, crome and ms.. By far .. the ms software is the worst of them all. Its not even in milliseconds like every other one is.. Its in percentages.. how dumb. Personally.. I just hate it, Maybe its just me.

Anyway.. Why arent you ready to go standalone? From the sounds of what you got done to your car you are.. Why not?
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

MSnS is a standalone. Most people just dont treat it as one. Its doing everything perfect for me atm i dont need anything else. I could get rid of my stock ECU and just use MSnS for everyhthing but i decided to keep the stock for some things it does fine..like IAC and Fuelpump and such(plus it was extra work and i was lazy *cough cough*). Maybe its cause ive never used any other standalone but MSnS seemed simple enough fo rme to learn, just had to read up on the site a bit.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Franko wrote:Ive used a few standalones.. aem, haltech, crome and ms.. By far .. the ms software is the worst of them all. Its not even in milliseconds like every other one is.. Its in percentages.. how dumb. Personally.. I just hate it, Maybe its just me.

Anyway.. Why arent you ready to go standalone? From the sounds of what you got done to your car you are.. Why not?
I dunno....its just id be the first to do this on a dohc four cyl and im not really sure.....does anyone have a manual for an e6k i can look thru?
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
Cy

Post by Cy »

all you need to map ANY ecu beyond computer experience is a gooooot EGT an AFR Gauge and something to adjust the throttle slowly and hold it @ an rpm...like your foot...---EGT + AFR mounted RIGHT after the turbo or right after the CATbox on the stock DOHC..Then rpm match with the resolution of the tuning software and adjust fuel mix to desired AFR and acceptable EGTs...

THIS IS THE REASON I LOVE THE GREDDY EMANAGE SOFTWARE.. you set an AFR and it will MAKE the map... then you just tune for power on a dyno...

The biggest bastage of the whole lot is wiring everything up...
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Cy wrote:The biggest bastage of the whole lot is wiring everything up...
:evil:

Steeb

Post by Steeb »

so the e manage is like a slightly better safc? after reading what you posted on the e manage, i read up on it. sounds like a very good piggyback but for the money the megasquirt does a lot more. either way, both the megasquirt and the emanage functionality is very user friendly according to their description. +

having full timing and fuel adjustablility has enormous benefits. with timing and fuel adjustability you can run a much more efficient, and safe tune that WILL have more power. you will be able to make more power and run more boost due to the fact that you can adjust timing seperately from fuel control where as the safc does not allow you to do such. oit will also keep from having the "black rear bumper" that typically comes with piggyback systems, larger injectors and boost. better economy, more power potential, better drivability and safer tune, all come with having an ems.

if you spent all that in your engine bay, its only fair that you have proper tuning tools to get the most, power, economy and safest tune. im sure most of us would rather see you with proper fuel and timing management since it is the safest and best route to making the most out of what you have. ...and what you have is very nice and a ems would compliment your setup well. not to mention, for the price of the megasquirt piggybacks are obsolete.
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

cjthor wrote:
Franko wrote:Ive used a few standalones.. aem, haltech, crome and ms.. By far .. the ms software is the worst of them all. Its not even in milliseconds like every other one is.. Its in percentages.. how dumb. Personally.. I just hate it, Maybe its just me.

I dunno....its just id be the first to do this on a dohc four cyl and im not really sure.....does anyone have a manual for an e6k i can look thru?
E6K Manual

E6K Wiring

Its pretty straight foward stuff. Im positive you can do it man.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

If you car is going to be a DD I would go for the greddy emanage Ulitimate. U can delet your AFM for a MAP, you can control Ignition and fuel, and it has the auto-tune feature. Plus you have the reliabilty of a stock ecu and stock setup. Unless you wanted to spend the BIG Bucks for the right standalone, I would really suggest with going with the best piggyback on the market.

Return to “Forced Induction”