FWD traction bars

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

FWD traction bars

Post by cjthor »

Anybody looking into these? I have seen them on Hondas and Acuras. I am sure we could definitely benefiet from having a set. Anyone try and bolt a set on? I know it will limit suspension travel but probably eliminate wheelhop altogether.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

I just built a set and tried them out last night. Had my best time yet early in the afternoon, at 100Degrees. I might have finally broke into 15's if my axle hadn't snapped :cry: . They reduced my wheel hop but didn't eliminate it. Next week ill have mazda speed eng. mounts and well see if hop is gone then. But it definately cut my hop in half. I used 5/8 heim joints, worked out pretty sweet. Car drove well but i plan on running them only at the track. I plan on posting pictures as soon as i figure out how.[/img]
92 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, OBX headers, 2-1/2" exhaust, XL Performance muffler, AASCO Aluminum flywheel,Pheno spacers,APEXi Airflow computer,Eibach springs,Tockico struts, Toyo RA1 205/50ZR15s, B&M short shifter. MS control arm Bushings, SS clutch line, SS brake hoses
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Philthy wrote:I just built a set and tried them out last night. Had my best time yet early in the afternoon, at 100Degrees. I might have finally broke into 15's if my axle hadn't snapped :cry: . They reduced my wheel hop but didn't eliminate it. Next week ill have mazda speed eng. mounts and well see if hop is gone then. But it definately cut my hop in half. I used 5/8 heim joints, worked out pretty sweet. Car drove well but i plan on running them only at the track. I plan on posting pictures as soon as i figure out how.[/img]
email me pics at jaridp@gmail.com
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

My buddy gave me some spare torque bars he made for his tbird. And i think they worked great. The rods were 22" long with 5/8" heim joints. I made brackets for the a arms and r.f. at the sub frame. I used the crossmember that holds the engine mounts for the l.f. notched the lip on the a arms for the heim joints and relieved the oil pan a bit to clear the rod. Havn't ran it long to say the results but so far drives well and has reduced wheel hop.
You can get these parts at coleman-racing.com
here is the link to my page showing what I did.
Input + or - is welcome, thanks
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2375603
Last edited by Philthy on June 10th, 2006, 3:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
92 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, OBX headers, 2-1/2" exhaust, XL Performance muffler, AASCO Aluminum flywheel,Pheno spacers,APEXi Airflow computer,Eibach springs,Tockico struts, Toyo RA1 205/50ZR15s, B&M short shifter. MS control arm Bushings, SS clutch line, SS brake hoses
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Ok im tarded, what didn't i do to post the pictures right? :?:
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

beats me, looks like it should work, but if you copy and paste the links it works.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Well, posting the link worked, still i would like to know how to post pics in the forums
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I was thinking about them too a few weeks ago, I would like some
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

timpronk wrote:Image
Those angles are pretty specific correct? Looking to make a set but my oil pan and downpipe is kinda in the way.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I'd recommend first swaping your motor mounts to atleast the Mazdaspeed motor mounts and/or filling them with urethane, or even welding at least the rear trans mount into a solid mount. Next swap out all the soft rubber OEM a-arm and trans crossmember bushings out for the SRD Performance Nylatron bushings (hard nylon basically). That eliminated all wheel hop in my car at around 400WHP. Thats basically what the traction bars your looking at do but the still have some give. Utilizing them with stiffer mounts and bushings would be the ultimate way to go. You also have to look at your suspension, your springs and struts have a LARGE effect as well. You should be running some really stiff springs in the front and rear of the car and w/ coilovers or airbags you can dip the front end of the car to pre load the suspension. Adjustable struts are optimal for the front and stiff struts for the rear. Also, do not dump your clutch and honestly...you'll have faster 60' times if you'd just let the clutch out smoothly holding around 2000 RPMs while feathering in the gas "slipping" the clutch until fully engaged and then nail the throttle the rest of the way. Doing this with my big GT30R turbo on a 1.6l B6T I can actually hand with a modified 5.0 Mustang past the 60' and then start pulling away at the top of first gear (my front tires are HUGE so my gears are tall, 245/50-R16). A Ninja can pull about two or three cars on me in first gear, second gear I real them back in, 3rd gear....I'd run plum the f*&k over that poor bike! Thats on street tires!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

nice post JWM do you think that w/ a k8 that not dumping the clutch would give me a better launch ?
CJ Thor, w/ the car on the rack a turned the wheels lock to lock to check clearance. It wasn't very scientific. The closer to the wheels the mount is on the A-Arm the more leverage it will have. The further outboard yo go with the frame mounts will make the rods stronger. Clearing the tires while turned is the limiting factor.
I pulled out my srd bushings, loud, annoying, and embarrasing. these arms cut down my wheel hop by about half, but i havn't employed JWM's strategy. The nice thing about the bars is that you can drive around town then bolt them on for race day. I guess it just depends on what you want to do with your car.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I think it would help but you still need to let out of it if the tires start to hop. Most people rev their motors WAY to high when launching. The secret is to learn to slip the clutch to control your traction coming out of the hole. By just dumping the clutch like most people you instantly break traction and send the tires up in smoke. Slipping the clutch upon launch gently appling more power is the same principle of using a nitrous controller to gradually bring in a larg nitrous shot. You can pick up a LOT of time just by working on perfecting your 60' times. That is where most races are won or lost.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Makes sense, I'll try it this wednesday. Unfortunately im 2 busy at work to get out there early to get a lot of runs in. Thanks
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

I spoke with a company called http://www.full-race.com and sent him a few pics of the underside of our cars. There setup is a bit better than just two bars. Check out their site! I miiiight work a group buy if there is enough interest...
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”