Clutch Pedal Spring

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
nolig2278

Clutch Pedal Spring

Post by nolig2278 »

My pedal does work but does not always come all the way up.
The clutch does release.

Has anyone ever replaced the spring that moved the pedal back up?

Is there anything else that could be done to pop the pedal up?
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

It's just like the brakes my friend. It is ran by a master cylinder of its own. Your master cylinder could be shot. No springs involved. Good luck
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

....I think there is a spring.... tucked waaayyy up at the top of the pedal.. i think? :shrug:

It shouldn't be too hard to replace if it does exist.
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

No no boys,there is a spring its at the front of the tranny closest to the rad connected to like a hydrlulic line,,i remember seeing this when i did my clutch swap..
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

TREVO123 wrote:No no boys,there is a spring its at the front of the tranny closest to the rad connected to like a hydrlulic line,,i remember seeing this when i did my clutch swap..
Are you refering to the little one inside the slave cylinder? And I think there is another small one in the master cylinder.. but I didn't think they counted.
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

There was a spring on mine, 95 rs, when I did my 5-spd swap. I had pedals from a '93 first but there was no spring on those ones and the brackets were different. I had to get a set of '94-up pedals and there is a spring and if I remember right, it was pretty tight area to work with.

If it was me, I would just take the clutch pedal down and swap it on the workbench. There are only 2 bolts and 1 nut to take off. 1 nut on the engine side of the firewall, holding the slavemaster cylinder, then 1 bolt on the inside of the firewall and one bolt holding the top of the bracket. It would take about 5 mins to get out, 5 mins to put back in and about 2-5 mins to change the spring. Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Jeff
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

I have a 94 so yes there is a spring as I handled it and had to put it back.
Would this thing go bad is what I want to know?

I might jsut add another spring to help it for that spot where it gets stuck.

FYI, this spring has nothing to do with the clutch except that it pops the pedal back out after the master cylinder has been released.

Thanks
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

there is a spring, but its different, it dosent just push your pedal forward, its one of those that helps you push the pedal down. basically it holds the pedal farthest forward or farthest backward. if you spring is shot, there is no need to replace it, just adjust your clutch slave cylinder rod to push the pedal out more instead of relying on the crappy spring
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

I have the piston pulled all the way out and it could really use a better reach.
I guess I need a new crappy spring.
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

i dunno man, check the bolts and make sure the pedal is tight, cause if i had my piston out all the way i woudlent be able to let my clutch out. the piston should have way more of a reach then the spring
KJ

Post by KJ »

Try it with the new spring i had the same problem on a different car i am not sure if my mx has a spring or not i am assuming it would but when i replace the spring after adjusting the clutch and getting no success it worked like a dream.

KJ

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”