Pre Turbo Mods?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
uk_mx3_guy

Pre Turbo Mods?

Post by uk_mx3_guy »

What pre turbo mods would you recommend for a stock 1.8 V6? As I want to build it up strong ready for the turbo! (Dont wanna risk adding boost to completely stock engine! :S )

Thanks

Jon
UK 94 2.5L KL-ZE V6 MX3, KL-68 TB, Chipped ECU, Green Air Kit, Exceedy Race Clutch, Hand made exhaust system, Goodridge Braided Brake Lines, Black Diamond Drilled & Grooved Disks with Black Diamond Predator Pads
BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

you'd be better off buying the 2.5 klze than spending money on the 1.8 k8 engine.

you can pick the engine for £700 - £1000 around £500 in parts and a bit of time and effort installing. Then get a full stainless de cat exhaust, a klze ecu or even mega squirt, and a few more bits and you'll be looking in the region of 200 bhp.

A couple of guys in the uk have done this and made good jobs. a guy called tommy d on here has also bought one of the turbo group buy kits i think for his ze.

I picked up a brand new k8 (1.8) engine from mazda on the cheap which i'm currently switching to my car. However, once the body work is complete and if i decide to keep the car i will definately go down the 2.5 v6 klze route with a view to turbo charging that. i won't spend any more money on the 1.8 k8 engine
uk_mx3_guy

Post by uk_mx3_guy »

So you would recommend swapping it out first then doing a turbo install on that?

:)

Jon
UK 94 2.5L KL-ZE V6 MX3, KL-68 TB, Chipped ECU, Green Air Kit, Exceedy Race Clutch, Hand made exhaust system, Goodridge Braided Brake Lines, Black Diamond Drilled & Grooved Disks with Black Diamond Predator Pads
BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

yeah if i had the money thats what i'd do....

the 2.5 klze has 200 bhp in comparison to around 135 of the 1.8 > theres not many cars you can get 60bhp increase for £1500.

then turbo it you should easy be looking at 230 - 250
uk_mx3_guy

Post by uk_mx3_guy »

Where is the best place to get a KL-ZE? Off another car? Do you know any for sale?

Is it a straight swap or is there any major mods to be done?

Jon
BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

most people will tell you to do a search there is loads of information i don't know on this subject!

the engine is from a japanese import mx6 or xedos 9 i think. if you call a place that advertises japanese import engines they should be able to help you. be wary though because there is a 2.5 which is a klde from a uk mx6 / ford probe these only produce in the region of 165bhp. there is information on here how to tell the difference.

it's a little difficult to change but only as hard as doing an engine swap like for like i think. ok so maybe a little harder
uk_mx3_guy

Post by uk_mx3_guy »

Lol, well looks like I have some research and some phone calling to do!! :)

Thanks for the advice BADMX3 :D

(I assume its worth doing various engine mods to the 2.5 while out of the car lol)

Jon
BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

yeah quite alot some i have done to the 1.8 i'm putting in mine.

just research there are loads

the question you gotta ask is how much you want to spend.

go to worklogs and look at my worklog few pics of me taking my engine out
uk_mx3_guy

Post by uk_mx3_guy »

I had a look at your worklog, it didnt look like it was that hard to take out the existing engine, or is that just a clever picture arrangement? lol

Jon
BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

it was a fairly simple process... building the new engine is a right pain.... would have been easier to drop the 2.5 i think as this engine came with none of the ancillaries
uk_mx3_guy

Post by uk_mx3_guy »

I see!

Would you happen to be going to any shows down south this year?

hmm... i dont know whats worse, yell.co.uk or 118118.com! lol

Jon
BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

like the sig loll
my car is still off the road so no shows for my car but i may go to some, looking at going to japfest maybe some more
Tommy D

Post by Tommy D »

How far are you looking to go with the Turbo Kit?

The ZE is by far the most obvious thing to do in the search for power, pride aside ill be honest and say that before i started modifying my MX the ZE conversion seemed intimidating. It is in fact simple and any garage with a printout of the swap details should be able to do it fine.

I know there are two other 2.5 ZE engines in the UK sat with Nippon spares, I know the guy due to a few mishaps with the company but they got rid of the guy that was disorganised so let me know if you want one and ill call matey for you.... 8) I just got my second one as the first was weak and i abused it. The car keeps with most things 280bhp WRX's etc...and when a std 1.8V6 tryed it on a couple of days ago it got owned big time, prob thought the exhaust adds a bit of bhp....lol

I also have a few bolt ons which the MX responds well too, As for the Turbo kit if you fancy doing it all there are different options available depending on cost, knowledge, and time 8)
uk_mx3_guy

Post by uk_mx3_guy »

About 10psi with the turbo!

Do you know how much would the ZE cost?

Btw should I be trying to get a MX-6 gearbox for the swap or should I keep the MX-3's?

Thanks

Jon
Tommy D

Post by Tommy D »

10psi on the ZE, thats alot for standard engine.....Im going to about 6 and maybe 7psi, that will give close to 300bhp with reliability.

Return to “Forced Induction”