Tall people, Steering wheel adjustment

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
corbanbrook

Tall people, Steering wheel adjustment

Post by corbanbrook »

Well the steering wheel just doesnt seem to go up high enough on the RS.

With the seat all the way back and reclined I still have to bow my legs with knees on either side of the steering wheel and im constantly bumping my hand on my kneed when making wide one handed turns.

I am 6'3" and it is getting to be a little annoying, doesnt feel as comfortable as I would like it. Im wondering what other tall, long-legged MX-3 drivers have done. Smaller steering wheel? or is there a way to somehow adjust it higher?

I think if I could move the seat back another couple inchs on the track it would be alright, but its at its max.
92 MX-3 1.6L 4 Cyl SOHC
MPG: 21.5city/38hwy
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

I am 6'5 and there is a simple solution. Learn to deal with it. LOL. It really doesn't bother me that much even on long trips the only bad thing is that I Auto-x and track my car and wearing a helmet I am always bumping the headliner.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

the V6 models come with an adjustable up & down steering colum. the 4cly models don't come with them or at least i never seem that feature in a 4cly model.
Last edited by Limegreen mx-3 on May 4th, 2006, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

sounds like another swap comming.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

bocheck hows ur superchager project doing or have u gone turbo.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:the V6 models come with an adjustable up & down steering colum. the 4cly models don't come with them or at least i never seem that feature in a 4cly model.
My 95RS has one. They might have added it to the 94+ line.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

yep my 94RS has one too
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

i stand corrected or it could have been a add optiniol feature on the base models.
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:the V6 models come with an adjustable up & down steering colum. the 4cly models don't come with them or at least i never seem that feature in a 4cly model.
My 93RS has it..
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:bocheck hows ur superchager project doing or have u gone turbo.
holly threadjack batman.

lol its still in planings, starting to gather parts now, and yes, still s/c not turbo.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

TREVO123 wrote:
My 93RS has it..
Like i stated tread below

(i stand corrected or it could have been a add optiniol feature on the base models.)
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

one easy fix is got and get a aftermarket steering wheel, they are about 10.5" in diameater a huge differenes than stock after that you can get different spacers to bring the wheel farther off the steering colum, and all this envols is removing your stock wheel not trying to swap the entire steering coulom out of a v6 (which is the exact same wheel and colum)

reaper
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
Boris

Post by Boris »

Ya I'm almost 6"7. Driving an mx3 can get kind of uncomfortable sometimes. The mx3's are actually pretty good for a tall guy like me though. Once I get an aftermarket smaller steering wheel, I think it'll be pretty roomy. I did some measurements and i think a new wheel will free up a lot of leg room.
Cy

Post by Cy »

If you still really annoyed by this do what i'm doing...

Take the stock mx-3 seat out and make a mounting frame to move the seat down 1" and back 2"-4"...

This frame would allow you to mount any seat in any position or pitch..The X's are obvious overkill and wouldn't make it onto the final design.. but it's a general idea..

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”