MegaSquirt and ECU

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

MegaSquirt and ECU

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

Are there going to be any differences between running a ZE on MS with a K8 ECU or a ZE ECU?
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

nope it won't change a thing since MS will basically take over the engine, the ze ecu won't be necessary UNLESS you keep the vris control by the stock ecu but why would you. MS is able to control the vris.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

SE, you've posed a broad question. First try having a look at some past threads in the Turbo S/C forum. There are different versions of MS designed for different applications. That said there are options within those versions. One can completely substitute their ECU in lieu of MS systems that were realeased earlier or opt for what I did and submitted my KL31 ECU for modification through a Probetalk BB. My ECU was tapped into with the MS wherein all the rudimentary functions like cold temp start, fan control, VRIS and a few others are still controlled by the ECU because it still does it quite well. The MS takes over the short commings of the ECU and aside from that can also add a few other options. In the end, the ECU would still do all the simple basic functions and the MS will pick up the slack to control spark, a/f ratios and a few other items. I've opted for the additional coilpack option for future considerations. In this particular application I have less than 6 wires to contend with that require connections to key areas. and the KL31 ECU still plugs into it's normal connectors. A Plug n Play scenario. Older versions of MS have a larger number wire bundle that require connections to key sources.
I suggest that you have a look at the BB reference threads in Probetalk and as well the MS site/Bulletin Board. Between the other threads in here and Probetalk, there are numerous links to get you all the info to get you completely confused....LOL.
Again, it's matter of knowing what you want, whats available, your electrical aptitude and schematics familiarity and of course, how much you can afford. g/l
John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

I'll probably get the latest version of MS (MS II V2.3 or something) and have it control as much as possible. I see this as a better idea than getting the ZE ECU since that would be money wasted if I switched to MS anyway. Thanks for the replies.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

MS-1 has much more support on our engines than MS-2.

As of today, the MS-1 has actually more functions.

Get a MS-1 and upgrade it to MS-2 when the support is there.

-nope
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

nope-mx3 wrote:MS-1 has much more support on our engines than MS-2.

As of today, the MS-1 has actually more functions.

Get a MS-1 and upgrade it to MS-2 when the support is there.

-nope
If you are debating the 2.2 board to the V3 board I have to disagree with you.

The V3 has more options to go with. I am actually switching out my 2.2 for V3 in the next week or so. Then I can easily dump my distributor in the trash can and run coil packs. To do that on a 2.2 board I would have to build and entire daughter card and all kinds of other unnecessary work.

V3 is the best choice. It's simply better.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I`m not talking about 2.2 or v3 pcb but MS-I and MS-II

big difference.

-nope
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

So, is MS 1 V3.0 better for our cars than MS 2?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Has anyone got the latest V3 Plug n Play MS up and running yet? I like to ask a few Q's to those that do, thanks,
John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Nope's right MSI cpu with V3.0 board is king right now, and you can always upgrade later very easily.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Rick Johnson wrote:Nope's right MSI cpu with V3.0 board is king right now, and you can always upgrade later very easily.
That's what my Plug n Play is.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Same mines MS1 with V3.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”