CEL for KL36 ECU

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Jay72

CEL for KL36 ECU

Post by Jay72 »

How would KL36 ecu users get codes for our cars? I was told that there is a device that you attach to the diagnostics box that allows this. I guess this would be an ODB I reader, but no one seems to have those around. I'm pretty sure HypeA was talkng about something else when he told me about this, otherwise, he would've said it was an OBD I reader.
Last edited by Jay72 on April 12th, 2006, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

I was also looking into this since I too have a KL-36 ECU. It seems you can get codes by hooking up an led to FEN and B+, but I am not sure exactly how you do it.
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Good luck, I've always heard it is impossible to get codes from a Kl-36 b/c the Japs use different codes and a different type reader. Thus the readers we can get won't give you the right codes anyway. I could be wrong though since I have never tried it myself.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Haven't needed to do it myself either. By connecting and LED test light between the FEN in the diag box and the + terminal of the battery. The LED is supposed to give the corect flash codes with the ignition turned to on I believe. Past posts should confirm.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

It's real easy just plug in your old k8 ecu, and take it for a rip then pull your codes.
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

I dont have my old K8 ECU.
Jay72

Post by Jay72 »

Good idea Rick but, that would be too much hassle to get codes. I would like to know when something is wrong without having to guess every week or so when I should swap ECUs.
I wonder if you could hook up this LED test light temporarily to the diagnostic box and somehow connect it to the CEL in the dash. Possible? If it were, I bet getting the Jspec codes would be a mission in itself. Can you get these LED test lights anywhere, like say, Canadian tire or something?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Jay72 wrote:I wonder if you could hook up this LED test light temporarily to the diagnostic box and somehow connect it to the CEL in the dash. Possible?
Great idea if it works.

Jay72 wrote: Can you get these LED test lights anywhere, like say, Canadian tire or something?
Yes.....dirt cheap. Something similar to a household receptacle/line tester.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”