Blown Strut? Body Roll?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
solo_ryder

Blown Strut? Body Roll?

Post by solo_ryder »

Hey, I have been noticing more and more lately that when I hit a large dip or turn hard into a corner it sounds like my strut is bottoming out (you know that awfull noise), They are 6 month old tokicos on suspension tecniques springs with 195/60/15 tires on my stick rim, could it be blown? Is there a way to check?

Also, I have been noticing that my car is rolling alot through the turns, it almost feels like the rear end, but can't be sure. I drove in a 92 4 banger with stock setup the other day and it felt like it could handle the same or better then my car?!? Any advice? I am thinking the damn springs are to soft.
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

sorry you didnt get many responces for a while... I've had new struts on for about a year, and just last week there was loud baning comming from the back, thought it was the strut bottoming out...

I started to take the other one out and found that not only did the strut blow, but the strut mount rusted into pieces and the strut was bangin around. Made the searing horrible and it sounded like the spare tire was jumping up and down over bumps.

If you sure its from the back, go in the hatch and remove the plastic covers over the seatbelt rollerthings. The seatbelt rollers bolt right on top of the strut mount so if you look under it you should see a solid rubber cover protecting a nut and it will be sitting right in the center not moving. What I saw was a hole into the wheelwell and the top of the strut bouncing around. If the mounts were not replaced when you got your new struts, i'd bet thats what happened.
1993 RS Teal

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”