No Vris at all!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ProspectMx3

No Vris at all!!!

Post by ProspectMx3 »

I have the ZE with the curve neck. WE put it in about 3 months ago. A soon as I put the KL_36 ECU I lost it the VRIS. Before the I was running the KL_01 and it was working adiquitly. I was racing my friend who also has a ZE with the KL_31 ECU. We are together off the line the you hear his VRIS kick in and he flys past me. You can't feel it at all in mine. I have checked all vacum lines. The only thing I can come up with is that my ECU is a dud. Help please

Waide
Stock Sucks
Race Cars!!!
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

have u done a "Paper test"??

Also i have told several people. the KL-31/36 ECU is not the correct ECU to be using with the Curve neck manifold. The US KL ECU is the closes plug and play VRIS points u can get.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

yeah correct. You're vris points were moved when you changed ecu, they are now probably somehwere else and you can't feel it. I reallllly doubt by changing ecu that it stoped working just like that. Normally when the vris doesn't works it's either a solenoid or actuator but those are still the same when you changed the ecu.
I say do the paper test. I used to not feel mine when I had a kl36 ecu with ze intake manifold but they were still working properly
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
ProspectMx3

Post by ProspectMx3 »

Sorry do not know what the paper test is. I tried looking it up with no luck. Could you explain what I half to do?

Are their big difference's between the KL_31/KL_36?
Stock Sucks
Race Cars!!!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

screw the paper test.. thats just a way of making something very easy just harder for no reason.. this is all you do. Turn the car on with handbrake and in neutral. Go to the front of the engine, slowly rev the engine to high rpms manualy trough the throttle. You will see the 1st vris open up, rev higher and second one will open. When you cant feel the vris usually its the clutch going if the vris points are opening. There is a good vacuum diagram in the online shop manual. In my car i lost feel of vris a week ago, my car starts in second gear and drives of normally meaniong its the clutch..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

screw the paper test.. thats just a way of making something very easy just harder for no reason..
Oh really, u ever try to do that on a US KL or K8 ECU? It won't work. The US ECU's only activate the VRIS under a certain load on the car. With a Japanese ECU u can just rev it.
When you cant feel the vris usually its the clutch going if the vris points are opening.
Haha, sorry but that is completely incorrect. You are not "suppose" to feel the VRIS change over, it was designed to be a smooth hp/trq curve, not jumpy.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

ProspectMx3 wrote:Are their big difference's between the KL_31/KL_36?
No, as far as anyone knows there is no difference. The only thing is KL-31's are made to work on MTX only, and a KL-36 can work on ATX or MTX.
ProspectMx3

Post by ProspectMx3 »

I will try reving it up and see if they open tommorow.

My clutch is going, I am just waiting on receiving my new one and installing my new tranny, flywheel, and clutch. So if that dosen't fix it I can elliminate that.

Another question? My car was origanally and Auto and I converted it. Will the KL_31 still work in it?
Stock Sucks
Race Cars!!!
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Well as for the ECU's not working MTX or ATX, i have personally never tried it with the KL-31/36. But i have used ATX ECU's in MTX and vise a versa...so i don't think u should have a problem.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

um i tried with the k8 ecu , de ecu and kf ecu... it does open hile reving... hmm on the other hand now tyat you mention hat it opens under certain loads maybe mine arent opening at certain loads. As far as vris it has alwats opened with k8 ecu and j spec ecu. and maybe because i got a jspec ecu but i can ferel the jump when the 1st vris opens and can hear it also the one that opens at 5k rpms. When I had my k8 and lost vris "feel" i changed clutch and it did help.As he said, his clutch is going..

Slammed6 wrote:
screw the paper test.. thats just a way of making something very easy just harder for no reason..
Oh really, u ever try to do that on a US KL or K8 ECU? It won't work. The US ECU's only activate the VRIS under a certain load on the car. With a Japanese ECU u can just rev it.
When you cant feel the vris usually its the clutch going if the vris points are opening.
Haha, sorry but that is completely incorrect. You are not "suppose" to feel the VRIS change over, it was designed to be a smooth hp/trq curve, not jumpy.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

hgallegos915 wrote:um i tried with the k8 ecu , de ecu and kf ecu... it does open hile reving... hmm on the other hand now tyat you mention hat it opens under certain loads maybe mine arent opening at certain loads. As far as vris it has alwats opened with k8 ecu and j spec ecu. and maybe because i got a jspec ecu but i can ferel the jump when the 1st vris opens and can hear it also the one that opens at 5k rpms. When I had my k8 and lost vris "feel" i changed clutch and it did help.As he said, his clutch is going..

Slammed6 wrote:
I used to be in the same boat, while at idle I reved the car and vris were opening but not with load. I was missing the vaccum chamber. Put it in and vris came back to life.
SO doesn't mean it revs at idle it actually working
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I had a fuel leak..got one bacxk, now number 2, ill re check and replace hose today.
-hec

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Um i think i fixed it..I THINK. Now i can feel vris numebr 2 HARD.. Lets see.. I had a major fuel leak in the rubber hose for injectors and spark plug number 5 was loose. I had a vacuum leak in the tb. My theory.. I was "feeling" vris number 2 because it was just the spark plug getting enough energy to run smooth... so i guess my car was runnign like crap. Reason why i beat my friends ze at the drags? possible his clutch slipping and needing atune up. His wires were bad from the last time i saw em. :) ill live with it like this.
-hec

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”