Dash wont light up

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Dash wont light up

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

I just bought this new MX and the Reverse glow gauges wont light up. The other lights in the dash all light up and everything works. Its only the gauges wont light up. I tried taking the wires off the box that lets you select different colors and putting the wires together directly and it still wont light up. Anyone wanna make any suggestions on how to fix it. And I did search like crazy so nobody come up in here and try to son me when I've been here longer than almost everybody. Thanks.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

are these light nice gauges like mine? Because if they are you need to find the power cable and make sure its hooked up. It could have fell out where it was pluged in at. If its just the stock ones make sure the dimmer switch is pluged in.

1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

its the gauges exactly like that in the pic. I checked the wires and all i saw were 2 sets of white wires going to a black box under the dash. Everything seems hooked up but theyre still not working.
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

ok that black box there should be a red power wire and a black ground where are they?
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Red and black are both plugged into the black box. Theres nothing plugged into the other box that lets you choose different colors though. And then when I just bypassed that selector it still wont work. Dont know whats up with that.
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

Where are the power cables pluged into. There is a troggle switch thats your changing colors from blue to green and a dimmer. But what I do is I wired up my power and ground to the stock dimmer switch so when I turned my lights on they came on. But for some weird reason my gauges were really dime if i had the stock power plug in so i just unpluged it and they work great!!

1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Good idea, I'm gonna have to try that with the dimmer wires. You just spliced the wires into the stock dimmer wires right?
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

well i have the dimmer switch the new one mounted but the power calbe and the ground yes I have it splised into the power and ground on the stock plug for the dimmer and i left it unplugged because when its plugged in it dimmes my new gauges.
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

Did you get it figured out?
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Havent gone to try it yet. Ive been busy today , I'm probably gonna go in a few minutes and try to get it lit up. Just gotta listen to make sure the baby doesnt wake up. I'll let you know if it works out today.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Ok these gauges still arent working. On the stock dimmer switch there are 3 wires coming out of it. Ones Red, ones Black, and ones Red with a Black Stripe. I spliced the Red wire and connected it to the new gauges' red wire. Then i took the other wire from the new gauges and spliced that into the black wire from the stock dimmer switch. Still no go. I have bypassed the switch that toggles the colors of the gauges by taking the wires that plugged into it and connecting them together directly. Is that a problem? You think its possible that the lightbulb is dead maybe? Because everything around the gauges works properly, its just the gauges that wont light up.
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

OK the little back box there should be a black and red wire with a fuze coming off that. If you look at this you can see it.

Make sure you find these wires it would suck if they are ripped off. If you wanted to just pull the wire harnes out you can just so you can install it your self. Thats what I would do just so I know where all the wires are. Doing it this way may take longer but its also easyer to do.
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Alright the wires going into the dimmer in that pic are ripped out of it. Should I just connect those to the stock dimmer? If I can do that where should they be going because the 2 wires are broken up into 2 smaller wires each. Then I dont got that piece where it says 4 x 12V. I'm assuming thats going into the gauge itself so I'm not worried about that. But then I also dont know where the red wire in the pic is supposed to go. I got that with the fuse still. I'm assuming the red wire should go on the power for the stock dimmer.
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

ok is the hole wireing harness out? Man I am about to ask for your phone number and just call you and help you over the phone be easyer!! =) But thats up to you. But anyway The 4 12 volt plugs you better have them they are what gives power the to gauges them selfs. The gauges plug into them if you dont have them then your screwed. But is the new dimmer switch togeather? And if so there should be that red wire with the fuce plug that in the stock dimmer plug where the power is. But make sure you have all the wires if they are ripped off you need to order that wire harness then.
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

Did you get it all figured out yet? And is the wire harnes missing wires or is it all good?
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”