Failed the safety :(

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Bochek

Failed the safety :(

Post by Bochek »

well took it in for a safety.

Broken front left coil spring, broken rear left swaybar end link.

Getting te endling off a junkyard car in near mint condition.

My question is, will it pass a safety with my new lowering springs installed?

There the evotion ones everyones been talking about, i think its about a 2.2" total drop after setteling.

Bochek
ProspectMx3

Post by ProspectMx3 »

Yes they will. If not argue with them, or go to another shop. As long as nothing has been butchered to get them in then there should be no problem
Stock Sucks
Race Cars!!!
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

sweet.

but.... HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET THE SWAYBAR END LINKS OUT!?!?!?!?

theres not enough room to get a ratchet on them.

Bochek
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: Failed the safety :(

Post by jschrauwen »

Bochek wrote: My question is, will it pass a safety with my new lowering springs installed?
There the evotion ones everyones been talking about, i think its about a 2.2" total drop after setteling.
Bochek
*scratches head* Why would one be concerned about passing a safety check AFTER lowering springs have been installed. Wouldn't you be kicking yourself if it won't??? I'm not sure who I posted it for but all the criteria from MOT was made available, not to mention a simple phone call to local inspection shop would have made it quite clear. BB with members from around the globe would not be able to accurately answer your question. If in fact it's not an issue, than there's the other issue to look at and that is that there's a minimum height of lowering allowed by OPP and other law enforcement agencies. If you're suspected of being too low, you can be pulled over, measured (headlight I believe to ground) and susbsequently ordered to remove car from road (read - towed home). Not only is it a safety related issue with light beams and adjustments but also that the bumper is not at a prescibed height range to be effective in an accident. It's the potential submarining effect in accidents where your car will literally go underneath another and possibly clip the top of the riding compartment off. This type of occurance (random inspections) is always commonplace on the roads surrounding the DarkNoghts car show. It is a law in the books and it may be to your advantage to make yourself aquainted with it. It would make for no surprises or expensive towing possibilities down the road. Good Luck.

*John*
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

well the news is that it did pass the safety yesterday, after i had installed my lowering springs. wich actually raised the front end of my car!?!?! the front left coil spring was borken into 3 peices.

All is good now

Bochek
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

OOO the end link is fun to get off... It is a ball joint so if you try to unbolt it spins you need to stick a elen wrench in the eng of the bolt and TRY to get it off... Or you just cut it off with a dremel and a bunch of cutting disc's. :D
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

cut it off with a 3" air cut off tool. went to the junk yard, took off the end on the swaybar and had the junkyard guys cut the suspension arm with their torch.

took it home and sprayed the end with rust check like hell...

TRIED to get it off, striped the allen head.

kept trying with vicegrips exct. didnt work.

CAREFULLY cut the nut in half with the air grinder and a chisel.

took it off

went to mazda dealer to get the nuts. such a odd size (12 x 1.25 i believe) paid $2 a piece for the nuts.

Put it all back together

Bochek
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

ya it wasnt fun huh? lol
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”