Idle Prob Better but Not Fixed

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
tallymx3

Idle Prob Better but Not Fixed

Post by tallymx3 »

Ok so a little intro i bought the car about 7 months ago for $500 bucks :lol: it has 110K onit runs great no probs, body in good shape.
After about 3 months i started to have fluctuating idle, would go from 1000 to 500 Rpms.
Things iv'e done:
1) New plugs Denso Iridium
2) NEW Wires
3) New rotor and Cap
4)New fuel Filter
5) New COOLANT TEMP SENSOR (Help quite a bit thought prob was fixed but not quite)
6) CAI

So after Replacing the coolant temp sensor the prob. stoped for a few days :D So I thought.
Now after warming up it will settle at about 700 Rpms but sounds very ruff. it will still occasionally drop a bit almost to a stall but not quite. :?
Well i am stuck it throughs no codes there is no air leaks, ive done all the tune up stuff and dont know where to go from here, any help would be much appreciated.
I hope i can get this fixed soon cause it is my everyday car.
1992 WHITE 1.6l SOHC saving for a BPT swap next year, New interior next month, and new Paint Hooray
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Other things to try
- Clean throttle body
- Clean Fuel Injectors (add FI cleaner to the gas tank)
- replace pcv valve (for rough idle)
- Add a ground kit (if idle gets worse with electrical loads like radio, lights wiper etc)
Cant think of anymore at the moment - but i am sure there are other things to try.
But try resetting the ecu before doing all that. Every time you change something in the engine it helps if you reset the ecu afterwards.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
tallymx3

Post by tallymx3 »

Probably a stupid question. Just disconnect positive battery cable for abou t 10 sec. to reset?
1992 WHITE 1.6l SOHC saving for a BPT swap next year, New interior next month, and new Paint Hooray
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Online Manual page F1-097 has a procedure - i think just step 1 is sufficient to reset the ecu
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

I used the great write up by Tunes on cleaning the tb and it took care of my idle problems. I recommend using it. Should be in the FAQs.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

upgrade ur altenater to a 90amp vs the 60 amp it has. where form a v6 MX-3 or MX-6 both will bolt up to ur 1.6. u maywant to swap out alt. pulley i didn't but it stop the shity idel.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:upgrade ur altenater to a 90amp vs the 60 amp it has. where form a v6 MX-3 or MX-6 both will bolt up to ur 1.6. u maywant to swap out alt. pulley i didn't but it stop the shity idel.
did this also prevent the lights from dimming when you hit the brakes?

if so i'll probably do the upgrade this summer.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Yes
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”