Was this a good idea???

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
1992blazeredgs

Was this a good idea???

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

The coolant line on the bottom half of my tb that attaches to the iac was leaking. So i pulled it off and about a 1/4" up the coolant line was ripped so coolant was leaking out of the line. I didnt want to cut the ripped part off since there is hardly no extra slack in the line. So i shoved about 2 inches of a straw into the line and than cut the straw on one half so it would over lap itself and fit inside the nipple on the iac.(all together about 3 inches of straw inside the line and nipple) Than put it all back together. I started the car up and got it up to operating temperature and it wasnt leaking any more. Was this a good fix? Will it last? Will the straw melt inside the line? replacing the line will be next to impossible since there is no room to reach the other other end and remove the hose clamp on it. Let me know what you guys think about this. Thanks alot

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

if it works it works, but you should keep an eye on it and look into getting another hose

def. thats just a temporary fix
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Bypassing the TB coolant is not a very good idea, especially during the winter months.
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I didnt bypass the collant, i just placed a straw inside the line giving it a new inner lining. I was just wondering if this was a smart fix or if it wont last very long

Nate
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

It will be a temp fix but the constant thermal changes will cause the plastic to get extremely brittle and may break and go inside your cooling system.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

A straw isn't going to hold up to 200 degree + temps for that long. Don't be a cheap a--. Go to the autoparts store and buy some coolant line in the correct size. They sell it by the foot.
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

i replaced the front line just last week, and it took over an hour because of the location. Guess ill replace this one also, wonder how long it will take because of all the s--- in the way. Any tips on any easy removal would be much appreciated. thanks

Nate
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

If you didn't want to fool with taking it off you could always try to find a piece of aluminum or copper tubing the size of the straw and use clamps to hold the hose on it. It would still be a temp fix but a much more reliable one.
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

the back line is a rather short line. it would be easiest if you first took out the battery and then remove the tb. the tb really isn't hard to remove, just look at the online manual, it should only take 15 to 20 min.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Getting the tb off and that end of the line is easy, the hard part it getting to the other end of the line. I never thought about taking the battery out to get at it. Ill take a look and see how much that will help. Thanks for the suggestions.

Nate
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

The only alternative fix I can think of that I have used in other applications is taking a brack line(metal) and putting that inside the hose instead of the straw. The straw will melt and it will do it easily due to the high temp. I highly suggest not to run the car like this. Plastics melting point is 160 and I believe 180 is not uncommon in our cars!
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Just replace the rubber line. That is the only real fix. Otherwise I bet you have more trouble with it. A brake line is too small to run the proper amount of fluid. A copper pipe will not be the right size if you "find" some laying around, and it will most likely crush when you tighten the a hose clamp on it. It will take some time, but get used to repairs taking some time. If you repair your car properly then it will last longer and you will have less hassle out of it.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Just replace the rubber line. That is the only real fix. Otherwise I bet you have more trouble with it. A brake line is too small to run the proper amount of fluid. A copper pipe will not be the right size if you "find" some laying around, and it will most likely crush when you tighten the a hose clamp on it. It will take some time, but get used to repairs taking some time. If you repair your car properly then it will last longer and you will have less hassle out of it.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

PATDIESEL wrote:Just replace the rubber line. That is the only real fix. Otherwise I bet you have more trouble with it. A brake line is too small to run the proper amount of fluid. A copper pipe will not be the right size if you "find" some laying around, and it will most likely crush when you tighten the a hose clamp on it. It will take some time, but get used to repairs taking some time. If you repair your car properly then it will last longer and you will have less hassle out of it.
So true...just wanted to exnay on the strayay
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I picked up the line today and hopefully it wont take so long, thanks for the help.

Nate

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”