I Passed!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
lakersfan1

I Passed!

Post by lakersfan1 »

Finally got around to taking my car in for an emissions test for the first time with the KL swap. It's a KLZE bottom end and pistons with chrome rings with ported KLDE heads. KLDE cams. 2002 Mazda 626 intake manifold. KLZE throttle body. Cold air intake with a generic Pep Boys ricer filter. Stock exhaust downpipes, but a year old Magnaflow cat and 2-1/4 inch exhaust with Magnaflow muffler.

All I did before the test was I fogged the engine with a half can of Berryman's Chem Tool last night, and threw the other half in the gas tank. Did that last night. Filled up with 93 octane this morning.

Somehow I failed the gas cap test with a new gas cap though. They won't make me retest for that though. Just have to show them a new cap, and I'm good.

It kind of pissed me off that they use dyno roller test in Illinois (which I've never seen before) and this idiot kid kept dropping my clutch at 3500 RPM. Then he told me something was wrong with my clutch afterward. I was like 'It works fine for me every day, moron." But at least I passed. I'm in the clear. I think I'm good for two years.
gfreire

Post by gfreire »

good to see yah passed!
[FS] Carbon Fiber Alteza Tail Lights used
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54541
[FS] 17' Motegi DP6 Hyper Black rims
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54497
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

I live in ND we do not have testing here. THANK GOD!!!
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

for a minute i thought you meant you passed your aids test...
let us know how that goes bud;)

:twisted:
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

Royal purple seems to help reduce emissions apparently.
I'll test this theory out personally.
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

good job man! :D

i need to renew my plates, but i need to get an emissions test done first and i already started to the swap, so my first drive will be to get the test done. hope it goes as well for me.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: I Passed!

Post by jschrauwen »

lakersfan1 wrote:All I did before the test was I fogged the engine with a half can of Berryman's Chem Tool last night, and threw the other half in the gas tank. Did that last night. Filled up with 93 octane this morning.
LF1, I'm not sure what you mean by "fogged"? Is this a mysting type spray that you spray into the TB and IM? Any one familiar with this "Berryman's Chem Tool" stuff here in Canada? And where can we get this stuff since I've never seen or even heard of it. What's it's main purpose?
lakersfan1 wrote: It kind of pissed me off that they use dyno roller test in Illinois (which I've never seen before)
Rollers is the main test apparatus for our e-tests which are also valid for 2 years. Depending on certain conditions where using the rollers is not safe or feasable, than an alternative test platform (static test) is done. Operator was not comfortable in putting my lowered car on the rollers and the front lip sits too low for them to find a good anchoring spot for tying down since it would come into contact with the front lip and possibly damage it. At least test facilities are trying to meet the needs of modded/lowered cars. Since I presented the test facility with declaratory paperwork from Mazda, I was allowed to be tested under the auspices of "Hot Rod" which have less stringent tolerances over stock. So mine was a static test under "Hot Rod" conditions.

Glad to hear you passed!! :2thumbsup:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

jschrauwen wrote:Since I presented the test facility with declaratory paperwork from Mazda, I was allowed to be tested under the auspices of "Hot Rod" which have less stringent tolerances over stock. So mine was a static test under "Hot Rod" conditions.
Mine was suppose to be tested as a hotrod, but I believe it wasn't, especially since the limits were lower than my K8 test, but it passed no problem anyway.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

how did you get "declaratory paper work from mazda" ?

can a "static test" be requested ?

mazda smashed my car pretty good going up the ramp, i didnt care because my ms bumper was already smashed up :D but for future consideration...........

ps- 1000 post :shock:
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

jschrauwen wrote:
lakersfan1 wrote:All I did before the test was I fogged the engine with a half can of Berryman's Chem Tool last night, and threw the other half in the gas tank. Did that last night. Filled up with 93 octane this morning.
LF1, I'm not sure what you mean by "fogged"? Is this a mysting type spray that you spray into the TB and IM? Any one familiar with this "Berryman's Chem Tool" stuff here in Canada? And where can we get this stuff since I've never seen or even heard of it. What's it's main purpose?

Berryman's is a slightly cheaper version of Seafoam that's available at Walmart. And by 'fogging' I mean fogging the neigborhood. :lol: Look up my Seafoam FAQ on this board for the steps to use.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”