RX-8/MX-3 to be released at detroit

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
mattster03

RX-8/MX-3 to be released at detroit

Post by mattster03 »

sorry if this is super old news, i don't visit this forum all that often, but another forum that i'm on posted this alerting information.

Two's company and three is… very exciting news from Mazda. The Japanese firm has revealed it will add to its sportscar range with the addition of a third model to sit alongside the RX-8 and MX-5.

The car will be unveiled at January's Detroit Motor Show, and though it will be styled and badged as a concept, insiders say the two-seater hints very strongly at a production model that will go on sale around 2008. We've been told it's a mini RX-8 with a hint of MX-3, but crucially won't use the former car's rotary engine.

It will be designed and developed by Mazda North America, based inIrvine, Calif. The center's director of design, Franz von Holzhausen, said, "It's an exciting continuation of the Mazda DNA. We will offer a product that's relevant to what people want, and enters us into an arena that we have not been in before."

The designer emphasized that the car would be aimed at North American buyers. However, he admitted it has been designed so that it is "conceptually possible" for it to made right-hand-drive for fans in countries such as Britain and Japan. -Richard Yarrow

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_Ne ... A9566.html

sounds like an awesome car, and i'd be the first to buy one out of college :).
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS
1993 Mazda RX7 R1, LS1/T56 Swap, 10.943 @ 130mph
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

nice find!
mattster03

Post by mattster03 »

so it hasn't been posted about here yet? sounds to me like it's going to be a LOT like an RX-7, but they don't want to say that because i piston powered RX-7 would be sacriligious. i would like to see mazda put a 300hp engine in this bad boy... break away from it's stigma of underpowering cars. maybe compete with the 350z and S2000? either way, i am very excited to be at the auto show and see it first hand. don't let me down mazda!
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

SWEET!

I cant wait to see it!
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Neil

Post by Neil »

I hope that its more MX-3 than RX-8... Wonder what engine they'll put in it and if it'll be FWD or RWD.

Very exciting.

I just hope that it looks nothing like this Mazda Concept car.
Oh please oh please do not look anything like this!!!
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

KLZE engine?

Hint of MX-3? Mini RX-8?
Sounds more like the next gen MX3
What exactly is the hint of MX3? The hatch-back w/ spoiler?
The hint cant be that the car is going to be small like the MX3.
It cant be the Mx-3 headlights, one of the Miatas of a certain year use similar headlights except they are much better looking.

IT HAS TO BE A REDISGENED HATCH THAT RESEMBLES THE MX3!

I am intrested
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

there's also this rotary mx-3 look a like concept. check out the side shot and compare the interior to the mx-3 concept sketch.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... ight=senku

kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

It would follow suit to be called MX* and probably called an MX4, since it won't be a rotary. I can see them aiming at the Civic hatchback crowd with a psuedo 4 seater hatchback too. Don't think we'll see the return of the large glassed hatch area though. The ragtop area is already covered by the Miata, so I can't see that. Don't believe we'll see the return of a small V6 either but rather a beefy 4 and perhaps they may snag the Mazdaspeed 6 powerplant as an option. I wouldn't be surprised to see a variant to some degree of that concept car. Would be interesting if they decided to resurrect the MX3 badge again. I guess that would mean to modify this forum to include 1st and 2nd gen MX3's .... cool ... I like that.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Neil

Post by Neil »

jschrauwen wrote:It would follow suit to be called MX* and probably called an MX4, since it won't be a rotary. I can see them aiming at the Civic hatchback crowd with a psuedo 4 seater hatchback too. Don't think we'll see the return of the large glassed hatch area though. The ragtop area is already covered by the Miata, so I can't see that. Don't believe we'll see the return of a small V6 either but rather a beefy 4 and perhaps they may snag the Mazdaspeed 6 powerplant as an option. I wouldn't be surprised to see a variant to some degree of that concept car. Would be interesting if they decided to resurrect the MX3 badge again. I guess that would mean to modify this forum to include 1st and 2nd gen MX3's .... cool ... I like that.
If they brought back the MX-3 badge (which i pray they one day do) there would be many happy campers on this board. As long as they didnt change the car and kill it like a lot of newer cars. We can all hope but i think the fact that they say its part rx-8/mx-3 means its going to be a new badged car and not a re-birth. Although for our sake i hope im wrong and its a new MX-3! (even though i know it wont be)
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
mattster03

Post by mattster03 »

i too pray that it doesn't look like the mazda concepts that we've seen lately. i really think that by mentioning that it will resemble the MX-3, that's code for "it will look like the 3rd gen RX-7" because really the MX-3 and RX-7 are very similar cars. but they just don't want to say RX-7 becasue then people are going to be offended that it's piston powered. i bet, that the name/badge will involve a "7" not a "3". however, i really like the fact that mazda still thinks that the design of the MX-3 is still great and worth putting back into production. i am anxiously awaiting the detroit auto show in january.

as i said before, i really hope mazda won't let me down engine-wise... it would be neat to see this car compete with 350Z's and S2000's, though chances are since it will be "between" the RX-8 and miata it will be low-mid 200 hp.... maybe the 200hp engine found in the 6? all speculations, of course.
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

My bet is on a 2.0L Four banger, 2 door, sedan or Maybe hatch, 150-160 HP range, badged Mazda 4 or 5. Doubt it will be as powerful as the RX-8 or as powerful as the MS6. Entry level sports coupe, since the Mazda 3 really doesn't fit that catagory (more of a grocery getter) (I also bet that if I'm right and this ends up to be a sports coupe the 3 owners will be pissed that the focus on performance parts will shift away from them)

Also just a note, has anyone seen Mazda's new silver and black steering wheel (a replacement for the stock Miata one) Looks just like the three spoke MX one...
Maybe someone could pull the pic off and post it here,
http://accessories.mazdausa.com/accesso ... gWheel.jpg
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

What I wanna know is if it's gonna be RWD or FWD...the first thing i though of when they said Rx-8/Mx-3 was RWD Mx-3.

The thing is, what Mazda is missing from their line up is a FWD, 2-door sports coupe, and a RWD, 2-door sports car, all their cars besides for the Miata are 4-door's, and they've got the 4 door hatches covered in the Mazda3 and Mazda6 lineups, as well as the Mazda5, so another 4-door hatch would be stupid
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”