plz Helpwater pooling on floor back seat (drivers side)

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
MX-3 Caper

plz Helpwater pooling on floor back seat (drivers side)

Post by MX-3 Caper »

Hey all......I've been having some water problems in the back seat of my car. It's only on the driver side and only in the back, where your feet are on the floor. I'm getting water in there and I can't seem to pinpoint where it's comming from...,....we had a storm last week and I had about 5 Liters on the back floor...I'm 99% sure it's not comming from the door, my weather stripping is good, windows up, etc.......
I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?? Could it be comming from the hatch??
I'm really stuck on this and I would like to get it fixed before the snow flies.
Thanks in advance
Aaron
96' 1.6 DOHC
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

wash your car then look see where it comes from. My guess its your door seals are good ya but still test it. Just dump water all over then look. or when it storms again run out and sit in your car. :lol:
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Do you have a sunroof. If so I'd bet my next paycheck that the sunroof drain on that side os clogged. You have to remove all the panels on that side of the rear passanger compartment to get to the drain and then remove it to clean it out. Be careful not to break the clamps that hold it to the car or stretch the tubing as it will not go back in properly and then you'll still have a problem.
I've seen many others on here have the same problem and the same solution was found.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
MX-3 Caper

Post by MX-3 Caper »

Thanks for the reply guys...
I don't have a sunroof PAT so that makes it somewhat easier...and Leagato.......I have put the hose on the roof of my car and let it go for quite awhile, but I am not seeing any water comming in from the seals or door, no water marks on any part of the roof or side interior........I'm wondering if it is possible to hvae some water comming in from the hatch and through the rear body of the car and then pooling into the floor of the back..........
It's just weird to have the water in one spot and not anywhere else......
If anyone else has any ideas or has has some weird problem like this I would really appreciate the info...
thanks
Aaron
96' 1.6 DOHC
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

hmmm.... could be fromt he hatch but i am not sure how it would get to your back floor tho that would be weird.... I say sit in your car on a stormy night and just watch.
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Better way to tell where it is coming from is to remove the panels and stick some paper towels on the body with tape. The paper towel will get wet and tell you where the leak is coming from. Alot of work to remove all the panels on one side, but the only way ot truel tell where the leak is coming from. Or you can just replace the seals one at a time untill the water quits leaking in...
Ps, stick the paper towles on when the car is dry then soak it or let it sit in the rain.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Macen

Post by Macen »

I have the same problem. I was going to replace my racing seat with the stock one, and found out that the floor was very wet.
The door seel isn't fitted properly because the holes in the seals are torn, and the plastic clip that should hold it dosen't hold it properly. But it's the same thing on the passenger side, and that side is dry.
Tomorrow I will remove the panels and check if the sunroof drain is clogged.

I found this thread and it seems like the problem is the sunroof drain.
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42837
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
Macen

Post by Macen »

I found the problem. The drain udner the front window was full of leafs. Water went through the firewall. I also found that the seal on both sides was torn. I don't think water is supposed to flow between the seal and the (rusty) bolt. The water must flow down the drain hole, and by the side of the hood down to the headlight.
Last edited by Macen on November 7th, 2005, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
Yoda

Re: plz Helpwater pooling on floor back seat (drivers side)

Post by Yoda »

Looks like you are out in the Maritimes. One of the problems with the whole 323 family including the MX-3 is hidden rust. There is a common rust spot in the rear wheel well where it meets the floor of the hatch the metal tends to perforate and the hole is hidden under the under coat on the out side and the seam sealer on the inside. Water has a tendance to wick a long the seam under the seat down to the floor

MX-3 Caper wrote:Hey all......I've been having some water problems in the back seat of my car. It's only on the driver side and only in the back, where your feet are on the floor. I'm getting water in there and I can't seem to pinpoint where it's comming from...,....we had a storm last week and I had about 5 Liters on the back floor...I'm 99% sure it's not comming from the door, my weather stripping is good, windows up, etc.......
I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?? Could it be comming from the hatch??
I'm really stuck on this and I would like to get it fixed before the snow flies.
Thanks in advance
Macen

Post by Macen »

Finally I solved the problem. I still had water on the floor under the pedals. I dried the floor, and then poured some water on the windscreen. No water on the floor.
I opened the sunroof, and poured some water there. And now there came water on the floor. I then looked in the fender well area, and couldn't see any drain hose. I removed the splash shield and found round black rubber inside a hole. I removed the splash shield on the passenger side and found a hose from the hole on that side. So, no drain hose on the driver side.

I removed the fuse box, and found the drain hose. Put it through the hole, and then poured some more water on the sunroof. No water on the floor. :)
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”