new to turbos

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
em-ex-3

new to turbos

Post by em-ex-3 »

ive been doing a lil turbo reseach and i was wondering if you can basically turn off your turbo when you dont need it...(gas mileage reasons)
rdawg000

Post by rdawg000 »

no..... not really, i mean u could drive under a certain RPM so you wouldn't make boost but thats way too hard, the turbo runs off exhaust gases! so the car always makes exhaust gases when running so your turbo is gonna spool and blow air! U can't really have a swtich for the turbo to just turn on....... Cause the engine wouldn't get any air, unless you unclamped the air intake pipe from your intercooler...... Baiscally if u want gas millage don't go the turbo route!

Ryan
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

just keep your foot off the pedal a bit and you'll be fine. I could drive my car for day without boosting
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

The funny thing is.. I actually find my bpt as good on gas as the stock 1.6 sohc was..
You gotta realize that it all works on engine load.. When theres enough load on the engine it will make it reach boost.. Thats why you cant really spool the turbo when in neutral.. Because theres such a small load. If you were crusing at 120 kp/h not in boost on the highway holding the gas at like 25% or whatever and came to a slight hill, as you started to go up the hill the engine load increases and if you werent in boost before youll most likely start making a couple psi of boost.. It hard to understand until you drive a turbo car.

My girlfriend lives about 40 minutes of highway driving away from me.. then its 40 minutes back. I take the mx out there and always fill up at the gas station thats there. If I just cruise back then the needle wont even come off of above full by the time I get home.
Now its going to be a different story if you decide to have fun with the turbo.. passing people.. doing a good pull on the highway all burns more gas, but hey.. You gotta pay to play. :P
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

yea my BPT gets slightly less MPG than my 1.6 DOHC. like 2 miles less i think (i get 27 in town). like franko said it's all off of load, you can easily drive a turbo car and not boost it. the hard part is telling your foot not to push down so far.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."

Return to “Forced Induction”